Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2016   #1
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Mexico Midget

Has SSE straightened out the Mexico Midget seeds?

See this thread from 2014: 9th Annual SSE tomato tasting.

Here's the thread: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=553207

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Has SSE straightened out the Mexico Midget seeds?

See this thread from 2014: 9th Annual SSE tomato tasting.

Here's the thread: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=553207
Yes. I'm sure,or pretty sure that Craig sent new seeds to them for the public catalog listing.

Carolyn
Old April 20, 2016   #3
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I will ask Craig for a few "good" ones, rather than take a chance.

Old April 20, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I will ask Craig for a few "good" ones, rather than take a chance.
Your choice entirely, but I wouldn't ask Craig for seeds with what he has on his plate right now, and there are other alternatives.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Tania herself is selling seeds for it as you can see above,and you also have the option of asking for it in the wanted seed subforum as well.

It's a red currant,there are several red currants that I've grown and have also grown MM many years ago, and just curious but what other red currants have you grown that makes MM so desirable to you in terms of comparison.?

Carolyn
Old April 20, 2016   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Perhaps..... but the public catalog still shows a photo that is not Mexico Midget.... it does not look like a typical red cherry as you mentioned above....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes. I'm sure,or pretty sure that Craig sent new seeds to them for the public catalog listing.

Carolyn

I've got three plants ready to grow from 8(?) year old seed. So
I hope to have fresh seed after this season.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #6
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I don't want to take a chance on the wanted forum. I don't know where those seeds came from. I have two packs of SSE seeds and saved seeds from those plants. All of which are incorrect. When I ask a vendor where they get their seeds, if they say SSE, I stay clear. My seeds are from 2006 and are getting hard to germinate. If I am lucky, I will save seeds from my 2006 plants, but I'm having difficulty getting them to germinate. I've done the paper towel and I have done the soaking with MG. Nothing yet. Only my 2006 seeds are true. Everything else came from incorrect SSE seeds.

Old April 20, 2016   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I remembered this thread and yes, Craig did send new seeds to SSE and I think Victory seeds already had the right ones after Craig initially sent them to Mike so probably SSE just didn't change the picture in the Public catalog

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...o+midget+craig

See posts 3 and 6

That should help settle the situation as I see it.

Carolyn, glad that most of her memory is still intact.
Old April 20, 2016   #8
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!

Old April 20, 2016   #9
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn for pointing out that last thread - I hadn't seen it. However, Victory seeds does not list MM any more.

Old April 20, 2016   #10
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Last year I bough half a dozen or so dwarf variety seeds from Sample Seeds Shop. They have goo selection .

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ah the continuing Mexico Midget saga! Yes indeedy, I not only sent SSE the real deal, but a few summers ago when out for the tomato tasting I brought them a few clusters of ripe MMs on the vine so that they could see and taste them, and save seeds. Mike at Victory also has them.

There are two different issues here. First - my view is the situation with the SSE is how/when to switch something over when it is clear there is an issue. I think that they really don't know how to proceed with a "reintroduction" of a variety that has been wrong for so long. I've not spoken to them about it in some time. The situation is the same with the Giant Syrian that they are selling - theirs is crossed - pink and oblate - but it should be red and heart shaped - I know that they have the real thing, since I saw fruit they grew from seed I sent.

As far as Victory, Mike is having an issue with it passing the germination test. There is something odd and unique about MM - it just simply does not germinate quickly, well, or uniformly. It needs something extra or something different, but no one has figured out what it is. The best way I get to germinate them is to leave the pot in which the plant grew out all winter - volunteers from ripe fruit that dropped onto the soil the previous year germinates well.
Old April 20, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Ah the continuing Mexico Midget saga! Yes indeedy, I not only sent SSE the real deal, but a few summers ago when out for the tomato tasting I brought them a few clusters of ripe MMs on the vine so that they could see and taste them, and save seeds. Mike at Victory also has them.

There are two different issues here. First - my view is the situation with the SSE is how/when to switch something over when it is clear there is an issue. I think that they really don't know how to proceed with a "reintroduction" of a variety that has been wrong for so long. I've not spoken to them about it in some time. The situation is the same with the Giant Syrian that they are selling - theirs is crossed - pink and oblate - but it should be red and heart shaped - I know that they have the real thing, since I saw fruit they grew from seed I sent.

As far as Victory, Mike is having an issue with it passing the germination test. There is something odd and unique about MM - it just simply does not germinate quickly, well, or uniformly. It needs something extra or something different, but no one has figured out what it is. The best way I get to germinate them is to leave the pot in which the plant grew out all winter - volunteers from ripe fruit that dropped onto the soil the previous year germinates well.
Thanks Craig for responding to my PM and posting.

In my PM to Craig I had also asked him if there had been enough time for SSE to save seeds from what he sent and he made that abundantly clear when he said he also had brought them actual fruits several summers ago.

And yes,I also remember the Giant Syrian issue as well,and there was another one I can't remember right now, but maybe my brain cells will synapse later.

Thanks again,

Carolyn
Old April 20, 2016   #13
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

It would be nice if SSE would state in their description that the seeds are no longer incorrect. But that's another story....

Old April 20, 2016   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It would be nice if SSE would state in their description that the seeds are no longer incorrect. But that's another story....
There have been a lot of staff changes at SSE and I doubt that info has been carried forward so the current staff may know nothing about the problems with MM or GS or a few more, let alone where the seeds are for MM that Craig sent.

What bothers me even more are the listings in the annual yearbooks where initial info about the origins of specific varieties has not been carried forward.

There is a way to search for that data via the online YEarbook,but I've never bothered to do that.

Tania has captured quite a bit of it and that does help.

If I'm truly desperate for back info, and I rarely am these days, I have all the back SSE yearbooks going back to 1975 when SSE started,except for the 1982 one which had Glenn Drowns on the cover,and Craig has the same back Year books as well.

I think Craig joined in 1988 and I joined in 1989,and we both were given those back ones for a specific reason,but it didn't happen so no reason to discuss it.

Carolyn
Old April 21, 2016   #15
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

I had no idea there were issues with SSE MM seeds. I bought a MM seed pack from them this year. I only have room for one MM, so that's all I planted. Are you saying it's not a true MM?
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote