Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 7, 2017   #1
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Default Can anyone help with a diagnoses and possible remedies?

IMG_0942.jpg

Plants were looking great a week or so ago but have been on a downhill grind ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

OK, that's a mess. What I would do first is cut off a stem and slice it down the middle and see if there is any tan/brown color to the vascular tissue.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

What are the varieties that were affected by this first?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #4
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Donskoi was the first one I noticed going south. I had cut a stem and didn't notice any brown, but will do again as I may not have known what I was looking for

Old June 8, 2017   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

gosh darnoodley, that sucks. Looks pretty bad. I'm thinking something bacterial.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

The vascular tissue inside the stems should be green and white, if there are tan/brown streaks or the pith is brown then that would indicate a systemic infection. You may have more than one thing going on there but it's a process of elimination some times when trying to diagnose a problem.
Old June 8, 2017   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

looks like a combo of EB and Grey mold to me.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #8
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Took a look and there is no brown inside the stems, the only brown is on the outside best I can tell

Old June 8, 2017   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

The necrosis seems to start around the leaf margins and work inwards. I would almost bet the roots are diseased. Fusarium Crown Rot or something. Any of you Southerners got any other ideas?
If you decide to pull the plant, take a picture of the roots, also slice open the stem form the base up about 12" or so and take a picture.
Old June 8, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The three soil borne issues that I have read about a lot are Verticillium, Fusarium, and RKN. V and F can cause a healthy looking plant to suddenly wilt. RKN takes a while longer depending on how bad the roots are infested. What I am seeing in the pictures does not look like the wilt that I see from Fusarium. When RKN shows signs of wilt - it's too late for that plant and it is obvious. I don't have Verticillium Wilt, so all I can do is look at online pictures.

Notice in the pictures that the stems are still green where the leaves look awful. Early Blight looks like that. With V and F the stem turns yellow too. RKN robs the plants of water and nutrients first stunting, wilt, and ending with killing the plant.

I think BVV is right on what it is.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;645808]looks like a combo of EB and Grey mold [QUOTE]

This.^ Hit it with a thorough spray of liquid copper fungicide after you trim off and bag leaves. Caution, mix for the weakest strength recommended, copper can stunt new leaf growth otherwise, that will set you back 3 weeks. Also, don't get it on the blossoms if you can help it.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #12
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Looks like some early blight for sure.

How much water are the plants getting? Has it rained a lot, or were they given extra water when they started to look sick?
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #13
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah, we've had rain out the wazoo this spring. This upcoming week will really be the first in a month or more that we haven't had rain in some shape or form. Water, or rather the lack of, has not been an issue.

I have some liquid copper (bonide) and will mix and spray - hopefully this evening.

I have had EB before, but nowhere near this extent.
Old June 9, 2017   #14
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfling View Post
Oh yeah, we've had rain out the wazoo this spring. This upcoming week will really be the first in a month or more that we haven't had rain in some shape or form. Water, or rather the lack of, has not been an issue.

I have some liquid copper (bonide) and will mix and spray - hopefully this evening.

I have had EB before, but nowhere near this extent.
I'm kinda thinking that there is a nutrient issues as well from all of the moisture. Something may have been locked out due to the excessive water in the soil.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

At first I thought you might have gray mold as I can see some stem lesions or I think I can. Since you have been getting a lot of rain then either or both could be present; but I have never had gray mold attack a Donskoi plant but they are sure susceptible to EB. That is the reason I wanted to know what varieties you were having the problems on. Usually gray mold attacks black or GWR varieties and will only rarely spread to most other varieties. I have always mixed my black tomatoes in among the pinks and reds and have only seen it spread very mildly to other varieties in the worst conditions.

If that is EB it is more severe than any cases I have ever experienced. You could have several things going on at once and if you have had really heavy rain that will only worsen the problems. If rain is forecast soon then you need to remove the bad foliage and spray with a copper spray as it sticks fairly good unless the rain is very heavy.

Sometimes when there is a lot of rain all you can do is hang on and hope it ends before it is too late for the plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote