Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 1, 2017   #1
geotek
Tomatovillian™

Default Forcing N deficiency as a way of managing plant size?

I have a neighbor who intentionally forces N deficiency by not adding any N to his potting mix that he reuses from year to year as a means of controlling plant size. He adds lots of P and some ground shells for Ca and Mg.
The plants are 1 to 2' tall and all show the stunting and pale leaves of N deficiency but are flowering heavily. Has anyone else heard of this method? Just curious. It seems a little bizarre to me.
geotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Sounds bizarre to me too. A couple questions come to mind. What varieties is he growing? Determinate or Indeterminate? What is the fruit size like and what about flavor?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #3
geotek
Tomatovillian™

I don't know the varieties, but I think they are mostly indeterminate. They are growing in 5 gal buckets filled 80% of the way. I didn't pay much attention to fruit sizes last year, although I remember complaining that his Beeksteak tomatoes were rotten inside and not edible.
I will try to find out what varieties are planted, most haven't set fruit yet.
I did count 40 plants/buckets just to feed a single couple, so I assume the per plant yield isn't too good.
geotek is offline   Reply With Quote