Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2017   #271
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Hi HoustonHeat
I hear it is tough to grow tomatoes in the Houston heat but you should trial Brandy Boy during the coolest months! Brandy Boy is a Burpee developed variety and is known to set fruit in heat better than Brandywine varieties. I believe Brandywine is one parent but I don't think Burpee has released to the public the other parent. Currently, seeds are only available through Burpee. It has been an outstanding variety with great production and taste - for us!!!
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #272
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Hudson I definitely and its actually time to seed fall tomatoes in a few weeks. These seeds are expensive from Burpee. Do you sell them, or are allowed to?
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #273
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
Hudson I definitely and its actually time to seed fall tomatoes in a few weeks. These seeds are expensive from Burpee. Do you sell them, or are allowed to?
I understand the big box stores sell them cheaper than Burpee. They are apparently in a Burpee seed rack with Burpee's label. I wouldn't know as the big box stores are hours away in travel. Brandy Boy is a Hybrid but you can try saving your own seeds if you like.
Old June 21, 2017   #274
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
BrBy (F1 ) seeds sold at BBS, are not expensive. I bought a pack @ $2.20 ? two years ago.But buying them online is a different story.

I agree with Hudson. Mine are doing great down here . Our summers here are very similar to most parts of TX , like Dallas, Austin, ... I am not familiar with Houston Climate though.
Now we are at the peak of tomato season. I have rooted some for fall planting as well. It is one of my top producers. The taste is very good, like heirlooms if not better.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #275
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
the only Burpees seed rack I found these were on was at HOME DEPOT... no other store carried this selection.
Old June 22, 2017   #276
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

I will keep looking but the Burpee site wants $7 for 35 seeds.
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #277
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I will keep looking but the Burpee site wants $7 for 35 seeds.
I hope you find some at reasonable cost.
I bought a pack (24 seeds ) 3 years ago. I just checked I have just 6 seeds left otherwise would have shared few with you. Maybe somebody else here, who has more seeds, can donate few.
Right now I have a plant from cutting for fall garden. I will also save some F2 seeds. I have read that it will grow true just like F1. I can send you F2 seeds , if you like. But I have not saved any yet. I will ferment some tomorrow. It should take a week to 10 days to have it done. pm me if interested.

Happy Gardening !
Old June 22, 2017   #278
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

HoustonHeat - I have 8 or 10 extra Brandy Boy seeds from a packet I got at Home Depot; PM if interested.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #279
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know if Brandy Boy actually is an F1 or if it is a 'stabilized' hybrid. Burpee has a history of using the 'hybrid' label on non-F1 lines. It doesn't have to mean 'F1', although most of the time it is assumed to, so Burpee can legitimately do that.

I only found a couple of references to various generations of growouts, with most stating that they seem to be pretty stable, from the second onward.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #280
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

"Does anyone know if Brandy Boy actually is an F1 or if it is a 'stabilized' hybrid."

I just called Burpee to ask this -- I spoke with a nice young man in the Customer Service dept. (option 6 for store-bought purchases) who checked with a horticulturalist for me. Here's the horticulturalist's answer: Brandy Boy is a STABILIZED hybrid.

That would mean that saved seeds would grow true, no?

Last edited by HudsonValley; June 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Quote function didn't work
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #281
mjc
Tomatovillian™

More than likely...especially if it's higher generation (7 or later...).

For the 'average' grower, it's probably good enough. For trade and such, it probably should be checked out...a couple of growouts to make sure and cull any off-types.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #282
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
"Does anyone know if Brandy Boy actually is an F1 or if it is a 'stabilized' hybrid."

I just called Burpee to ask this -- I spoke with a nice young man in the Customer Service dept. (option 6 for store-bought purchases) who checked with a horticulturalist for me. Here's the horticulturalist's answer: Brandy Boy is a STABILIZED hybrid.

That's great to know - thanks for making the call. That is also constant with the F2 I planted this year. We do not yet have a ripe one to check the taste - but the plant and fruit look identical to the F1(s)!!
Thanks!
Old June 23, 2017   #283
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

this means it really is an OP variety then?
Old June 23, 2017   #284
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Brandy Boy - Taste Test - The absolutely best tasting tomato we have ever grown!!!
Just our opinion from all the many varieties - Heirloom and Hybrid - that we have grown in our GH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R5BPJTnIQjakHI+7rTMd3w_thumb_6caf.jpg (212.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg qmkFzSA%R9a0q5u%4eGFrw_thumb_6cb3.jpg (203.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg m5+g4G2PSe+QLcvAY9h%Gg_thumb_6cb4.jpg (178.2 KB, 66 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #285
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post

yes .

STABILIZED hybrid. == Open Pollinated : IT IS NOT TECHNICALLY A HYBRID F1 ANYMORE.

Happy Gardening !