Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2017   #1
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafting for FLAVOR

I was intrigued by reading that grafting tomato to eggplant increases flavor.
Does anyone have any info on this?

Odin 1996 indicates that BER is increased, but soluble solids acidity and sugars all increased, while yield decreased.

Soluble solids, sugar and acidity are the scientific measurables used as proxy for flavor.
More = better.

Also the usual high yield rootstocks, maxifort, beaufort, increased yield, but decreased the solids, acid and sugar.

http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/se...D=JP1997001915

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ur...=1&oi=scholarr
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I can't say which one is better, but yes, all highly vegetative ones seem to lower the taste.
Here is a test which scored subjectively the taste, not other stuff, using Annamay F1, a fantastic tasting cocktail tomato (2euro/seed btw), and the original non grafted and the next least productive graft had the best fruits.
They have pictures of the plants as well, and interestingly, the original looks so much more sparse, with a much worse leaf to fruit ratio, and still they tasted better.
https://www.hortigate.de/bericht?nr=71376

Maybe the trick is to try one of the more generative or balanced rootstocks.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed an improvement in flavor since I started using RST 04-106-T but at the same time it has increased production. It has not been as vegetative as some of the other root stock I have used and many varieties grafted onto it look less vigorous than on Estamino, Multifort or Maxifort although there are exceptions with every variety of root stock. I did not notice any increase in fruit size with this root stock but I did notice earlier fruit set and earlier ripe fruit in general which was more in line with what the variety would do when not grafted. Of course there were exceptions where a certain variety of heirloom just did so much better with one of the other root stock. I never thought that the grafting to any of the root stock decreased flavor but just the opposite and I think that had more to do with having a healthy plant as opposed to a sick one. I am also using more Texas Tomato Food and my soil ph has come down a little bit so these factors also could be contributors to the better tasting tomatoes I have been getting the last few years.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

To me factors that affect taste are : (1) Genetics ( 2) Soil Chemistry (3) Growing/care Conditions (4)Climate
Since the root stock doe not influence by genetics, then only its growth habit might be a factor. For example, if it pumps too much water, that might dilute the taste.
So for taste I would depend on the genetics of scion, when all else is equal. JMO.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #5
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

There are some studies suggesting rootstock could have influence by epigenetic effects
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #6
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
There are some studies suggesting rootstock could have influence by epigenetic effects
A new word!!!

epigenetics:

Epigenetics is the study, in the field of genetics, of cellular and physiological phenotypic trait variations that are caused by external or environmental factors that switch genes on and off and affect how cells read genes instead of being caused by changes in the DNA sequence.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Okay this is getting too deep.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Using a common sense approach I can see how it would help flavor. More vigorous roots will reach further/deeper, harvesting more nutrients/minerals from the soil which makes tomatoes taste better. Just like how using rock dust/volcanic ash will improve flavor.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote