Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2017   #76
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

The tomato producing machines are in place. We top them off when they reach the rafters which will happen by the end of June and continue to top off the suckers as they also reach the rafters.

Now all we have to do is water and fertilize them as the machines do their work of producing awesome, large, beautiful and great tasting tomatoes until disease or hard freeze gets them by October or November. We turn off the heat in the GH sometime in November.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QhaQJAE9TjmOhpDxwbuetA_thumb_6c2b.jpg (345.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg VfdSBNfGTFG5PCTp%lKOlw_thumb_6c28.jpg (352.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg p%muBt0ASwyYwzyYrpiTKg_thumb_6c32.jpg (349.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg spIoDzKoR8CJB6FrGAKc%g_thumb_6c41.jpg (340.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg QiXYfTnKTtKjtnHEL6dF2w_thumb_6c2f.jpg (317.9 KB, 97 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks great.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #78
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Carmen Cucumbers are getting into full production. It is hard to beat this variety for Greenhouse production!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lPHVEozIS0+3+cm9KM3YhQ_thumb_6c6b.jpg (319.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg j1QdjIrzRjC3QGipE6dH5g_thumb_6c71.jpg (262.3 KB, 75 views)
Old July 7, 2017   #79
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

July 7, 2017 - Our Greenhouse which we heated in March/April/May is now in full production and the plants are reaching the rafters. By opening the Greenhouse in March we have moved the peak production of our plants from August to early July and can extend the season until October (we could go longer with heat but the plants are pretty much through by October from our method of topping the plants). We will have to start supplementing heat again as early as September. We will top off all of the plants this month and the plants will have two more months to ripen the remaining fruit on their vines. Blossoms are still setting fruit on the plants and we should harvest tomatoes as late as September/October. We usually close the GH in October and take a break for the winter.

Last edited by Hudson_WY; July 7, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old July 10, 2017   #80
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

wow oh wow. Awesomeness at its finest. where did you get the carmen seeds? I am very interested in growing those.
Old July 10, 2017   #81
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Wow, so very clean and healthy. Very nice.

Q: Can you grow a tomato Outside in Wyoming? (please disregard if this is a stupid question)

[why I ask, the kids took a trip to Yellowstone about a month ago, via chatanooga & had to leave due to inclement weather (snow storm). they sent pictures in a knit cap and heavy jacket, while I was walking around the yard in my underwear with a towel wrapped around my neck]

Great photography, awesome produce, great setup.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; July 10, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #82
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
wow oh wow. Awesomeness at its finest. where did you get the carmen seeds? I am very interested in growing those.
Thanks! Here is a link to Stokes Seeds. They are $1 a seed but well worth it. We get about 100% germination and probly 10-15 cucumbers per plant. If you find a better source please let me know.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.as...&CategoryID=68
Old July 10, 2017   #83
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I've not grown Carmen but I get about 30 cukes per plant from Sweet success. I water them daily and ferts every 7. You should try them if you haven't.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #84
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Wow, so very clean and healthy. Very nice.

Q: Can you grow a tomato Outside in Wyoming? (please disregard if this is a stupid question)

[why I ask, the kids took a trip to Yellowstone about a month ago, via chatanooga & had to leave due to inclement weather (snow storm). they sent pictures in a knit cap and heavy jacket, while I was walking around the yard in my underwear with a towel wrapped around my neck]

Great photography, awesome produce, great setup.
Thanks Smelly Foot - We live at close to 7,000 ft elevation in Star Valley Wyoming. We have had snow and frost during every month of the year! You can grow garden tomatoes at elevations of 5,000 ft in Wyoming but not here unless you live in a natural warm micro climate (there are a few areas like that). We grew Celebrity one year against the house concrete foundation with a GH plastic shield all season on the south side and covered them with a frost blanket every time the temps dropped to 35°F and had a good crop but they weren't much better than grocery store tomatoes in taste. We won't waste our time with that again - because we have a GH.
Old July 10, 2017   #85
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I've not grown Carmen but I get about 30 cukes per plant from Sweet success. I water them daily and ferts every 7. You should try them if you haven't.
We have not tried Sweet Success but we have tried Tasty Jade. They are very similar to Carmen (parthenocarpic) long and slender but we prefer the taste of Carmen. Is Sweet Success Parthenocarpic?

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...=en_US&start=1
Old July 10, 2017   #86
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Thanks! Here is a link to Stokes Seeds. They are $1 a seed but well worth it. We get about 100% germination and probly 10-15 cucumbers per plant. If you find a better source please let me know.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.as...&CategoryID=68
I ordered them from Stokes. My regular seed supplier doesn't carry them and believe me when I say I have not found cheaper seeds in quantity than Grimes. I ordered non stop and illumination series begonias this morning from them @3.99/100 seeds. stokes wanted 22.50 for 250 seeds of the illumination series.
Old July 10, 2017   #87
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I ordered them from Stokes. My regular seed supplier doesn't carry them and believe me when I say I have not found cheaper seeds in quantity than Grimes. I ordered non stop and illumination series begonias this morning from them @3.99/100 seeds. stokes wanted 22.50 for 250 seeds of the illumination series.
clkeiper - thanks for the tip - I saved Grimes to my favorites so I can browse their website when it's time to purchase seed! Morgan County Seeds has been a favorite source for veggie seeds for the past several years for us.
Old July 10, 2017   #88
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We have not tried Sweet Success but we have tried Tasty Jade. They are very similar to Carmen (parthenocarpic) long and slender but we prefer the taste of Carmen. Is Sweet Success Parthenocarpic?

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...=en_US&start=1
They are. The flavor is amazing to my taste buds.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #89
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
clkeiper - thanks for the tip - I saved Grimes to my favorites so I can browse their website when it's time to purchase seed! Morgan County Seeds has been a favorite source for veggie seeds for the past several years for us.
get a salesman for your area. the prices on the website are no where near to what I pay... maybe my salesman just likes me, though? I can't stand the one person who answers the phone there... he asks me if I have a pencil when my salesman is not available... WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? take a message you dork! they lost several sales this year to that from me. I hung up and ordered elsewhere.
Old July 11, 2017   #90
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
They are. The flavor is amazing to my taste buds.
Do you have some photos you can post of Sweet Success? The plant and the cucumbers? The photos found on the internet showed cucumbers from 8"-12" in length, slender to thick in diameter and large seeds. I would not grow them based on the photos I saw but I really am not sure what they look like. Will you share your photos?
Thanks!