Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 20, 2016   #1
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Default Bayonet Style LED Lighting System?

Lets see if I can hammer out a little project using LED bayonets...

Object: To be able to interchange different color LED bulbs at your leisure for different growing approaches.

Power Supply:
---
Screw type switcher / Suzo-Happ

or even

Switching wall wart / Jentec Jentec ?

AC Line Filter
---
Qualtek 3 Amp w/.250 Tab Q/D
Yunpen 3 Amp w/.250 Tab Q/D
Corcom 6 Amp w/wire leads
Schurter 6 Amp Panel Mount

AC Power Distribution Block
----
4 Quad w/45 & 90 degree .250 Tabs.

Fuse Holder, Cooper Bussmann - (Heavy Duty) 30 Amp
---
1 Pole Breakaway 1/4 by 1 1/4 .250 Tab
2 Pole Breakaway 1/4 by 1 1/4 .250 Tab

BA15 Bayonet Lamp Holders
Bayonet LED bulbs any color you choose.

So here is a little ground work. Still need to design some sort of reflective hood. Then maybe some small chain linked to hang a 2x4 under it. Then attach all the BA15 holders to the 2x4 and daisy chain them together.

The light could be run with 12v and 5v for different intensity light and even any color you so choose.

Just a quick draft and im not sure if 100's of these would even grow anything but I couldn't sleep and the automotive lights in the other thread had my mind working overtime this morning...

Bill

Last edited by MrSalvage; April 20, 2016 at 03:29 AM.
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #2
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

My idea is to use one of my adjustable metal racks. I will build a new power supply and place that on the top. Then I can cascade down all the different lighting systems onto each rack. The power supply would be able to run quite a few different things with AC & DC.

Here is a close up of an old power center i built a long time ago. Some new bayonets, new switcher & one of those racks I have to use. Don't mind all the crap I have on the rack.

I have a ton a new fluorescent starters & ballast here and molex galore. I also have my fair share of good 16 up to 22 awg stranded copper. Not the junk you find in most electronics now days either. Good wire from coin op machines from the 70's & 80's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4808.jpg (379.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4810.jpg (398.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4812.jpg (335.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4814.jpg (316.2 KB, 54 views)
Old April 20, 2016   #3
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Oh don't pay attention to the wire colors Worth cause I know you will say something. I just scrounged around when I built that power center years and years ago for my Williams Stargate. I have a lot more parts now! So the new ones are 100% legit. I just can't find a picture of one of my new ones anywhere. They sell so fast when I build them for the arcade machines.
Old April 20, 2016   #4
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Here you go Worth & just take that ISO out of the equation. Scatt is done by the famous Bob Roberts!
Attached Images
File Type: gif basic-ac.gif (10.1 KB, 53 views)
Old April 20, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
Oh don't pay attention to the wire colors Worth cause I know you will say something. I just scrounged around when I built that power center years and years ago for my Williams Stargate. I have a lot more parts now! So the new ones are 100% legit. I just can't find a picture of one of my new ones anywhere. They sell so fast when I build them for the arcade machines.
I think you have mistaken me for someone that gives a rats behind about wire color.
I wish I had pictures of some of the work I used to do but I dont.
Where I worked didn't allow cameras.
One of the projects I designed and installed had a main trunk line coming into a control room with 60 conductor 12 gauge tray cable.
All of it color coded and 24VDC

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am lost can you explain what this contraption is doing.

Worth
Old April 20, 2016   #7
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Basically it's converting AC from the wall and converting it into clean DC. The same is done with most switching external power supplies like the Jentec I linked above.

In order to run the bayonet style LED bulbs I would need a DC power source. 12v DC would make those LEDs really bright where 5v DC would run them a little dimmer.

It could also power at the same time quite a few CFL fixtures and or full size florescent fixtures. (Just pass through of course)

It was just an idea and like I said im not even sure i could grow anything with that style LED bulbs. Those style LED bulbs do have different lens for wide LED and narrow LED ect.

I wanted to put it out there and see if it would fly. I am not an engineer I just like to tinker.
Old April 20, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You dont have to be an engineer to do things.
My projects were designed by me and and approved by them that is how much faith they had in me.
Svalli here from Finland is and she knows more it than anyone I know.
Send her a PM and she if she will come on board to help you.
She is a fantastic person.
http://www.tomatoville.com/member.php?u=296
Here is something she did.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30973
Old April 20, 2016   #9
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You dont have to be an engineer to do things.
My projects were designed by me and and approved by them that is how much faith they had in me.
Svalli here from Finland is and she knows more it than anyone I know.
Send her a PM and she if she will come on board to help you.
She is a fantastic person.
http://www.tomatoville.com/member.php?u=296
Here is something she did.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30973
That was a great read man. Thanks for the link. Now that i am thinking about this i could probably mount the bayonets to skinny alloy bars. Then have a 5v fan blowing down each bar. I don't remember the LED bulbs getting very hot though and didn't realize it would be an issue until now. hum

It's interesting that I can space the lights per plant. Also that i can direct each and every light as well. If I could come up with some sort of sliding system to adjust them that would even be better.