Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2017   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sort of robbed it from Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol when Jacob Marley showed up.
Cant remember what the exact words were.
Time to read again.

Worth
Yes I have been visited by the Ghost of BER past ,
The Ghost of BER Present ,
and the Ghost of BER future .....

God bless us everyone .....
Old July 20, 2017   #17
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Cherry tomatoes don't get them, little globes seem to resist, as well as hybrids. Get past that and it's conditions nearly every time to my way of thinking. And some just don't like containers.

Fed and watered exactly in the same way, same mix and 15 gal pot size. Last year's two Rose De Berne had BER on 19 of 20 toms. Right beside them, two Crnkovic Yugoslavian with much larger toms and zero BER. The kicker was the RDB's looked great, nice green with no leaf curl. The Crnkovic looked dead, curled and silvery, but every cluster had perfect fruit. Almost like it uses every bit of energy toward tomato development and sacrifices the foliage.
yes I totally agree some do not like containers ....

and that is what I am pursuing this year to the tune of 7 gallon size ..with some extra care ...

I don't mind the first one / two with BER ...and you "cull " the fruit early ...
and the rest of the season fruit is fine ...scenario .....

But I would just not rather have the odd BER show up in the first place as well ..

Perhaps if I looked in a search for " Blemish free" "no cracking "

there would be a correlation to " NO BER " as well .
Old July 20, 2017   #18
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
La Roma II from a local nursery: I don't know whose seeds they use. But I bought a bunch of these plants on clearance last year and literally crammed too many of them into big pots. Even so, they took off and made vast quantities of roma tomatoes with AMAZINGLY little BER except right at the start. I made these tomatoes into sauce. But my mom says they were good in salads, too. Everything I have read online gives no praise whatsoever to the flavor of La Roma II. But they were disease resistant, easy keepers, and they made loads of roma tomatoes. I reckon this is why that particular nursery raises so many La Roma II plants. They seem to thrive and produce in this particular region. I opted to go with exclusively San Marzano this year.

San Marzano: Last year's were the Worst plants I've had for BER. One of my 3 San Marzanos never outgrew its BER issues and made nothing buy BER tomatoes. The other 2 did okay after they matured. None of these plants big producers, and they were also late in the season. So I am growing many of them from seed this summer to get enough San Marzanos.

Bonnie Heinz Super Roma (Heinz 8009) - Some BER problems early in the season and very late in the season. It was acceptably BER-free for the most part. But I didn't like this tomato. Very dense and hard with thick skin and was not great for sauce & cooking. Will not buy this one again. Might be okay for the canning factories, but was a waste of space and fertilizer for me.

eta: Some red oxheart that I grew from seeds a co-worker got from Italy: No BER. There might have been one or two tomatoes very late in the season when temps were getting cold enough to interfere with setting fruit. But was essentially BER-free. I battled Septoria leaf spot like crazy on these plants, though. Never could eradicate it, but I did get many real nice tomatoes from these anyhow.
whoops I remember ....same thing with La Roma 2 ....

first fruit (early ) was BER then rest good ...good production etc.
Old July 20, 2017   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
As for the quote from me that Black Bear noted above in a post, for me, after growing 4000 plus varieties I have never seen BER on any heart varieties nor on any cherry tomatoes.

And that goes for both external BER as well as internal BER.

Carolyn

You've been lucky. I have pulled three greenies with BER off my husband's Orange Minsk Heart plant. It was one of my extra plants that he adopted and put into a 7 gallon grow bag, and watering has not been as regular as for the plants in my beds which are on drip tied to our irrigation controller.
However, it has been subjected to the exact same watering and fertilizing schedule as his other six grow bag and bucket plants, and it is the only one with BER at this point.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Most of the toms I have grown did not get any BER, but during very cool /damp weather, it happened ... Mostly hearts, and oval / banana shapes.
Cherry toms and most slicers, none.
I just picked a huge monster sized Tarasenko last week, it had been hanging on the vine almost for two months and no blushing. Since it showed some beginning signs of BER, I picked it, and finally, chopped and sauteed it green along with other veggies (delicious!)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #21
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Most of the toms I have grown did not get any BER, but during very cool /damp weather, it happened ... Mostly hearts, and oval / banana shapes.
Cherry toms and most slicers, none.
I just picked a huge monster sized Tarasenko last week, it had been hanging on the vine almost for two months and no blushing. Since it showed some beginning signs of BER, I picked it, and finally, chopped and sauteed it green along with other veggies (delicious!)
Sibirskaya Troika is the other one I have with a few BER so as it is one that is another "elongated " fruit selection it fits the pattern ..of BER potential ...

I guess if one doesn't want any BER at all then one does filter out the
varieties to grow ...but it means less variety.
Old July 21, 2017   #22
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
That I'm sure plenty of people grow Rose De Berne with no problem, but my conditions seem to make the BER impossible.
Actually Rose de Berne is quite famous for BER (on French forums, where it's cultivated more often).
Cherry tomatoes are indeed almost immune (not so with grapes). It's hard to say for others, I had varieties which never had it, but that doesn't mean they never will. I heard people say hearts are much more resistant than beefsteaks.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #23
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Rose de Ber
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ricky, maybe they could improve the variety and make it "Rose de BERNO"
I only had BER one summer iirc and there was a little on several different plants in the same end of the greenhouse, including Stupice which has never given any such problem normally, and a small orange fruited Zolotoy Zapas. And the worst affected , 5 or six fruits, was Petrusha Ogorodnik, which is a semi-determinate pink heart iirc although rather more plummy shaped than oxheart. It was in a 5 gallon container and did not like the accomodations one bit. I believe the ones in the ground at my mother's did not have the BER.

It is interesting that hearts are resistant to BER while plums/pastes which are similar shaped seem to be the most commonly affected?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #25
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Never had BER on NAR or ISRL. Always had BER on Green Zebra so I gave that one up. And Orange Caprese was terrible for me last year. In general I have trouble with the plum type varieties and BER.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #26
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Oops, I guess I misremembered my experience with the Italian heart tomatoes. Some did have BER, per my photos from last year. But that was mostly at the end of the growing season when the weather was much too cold. I got catfacing and BER on the late ones but did manage to get a lot that were at least good enough flavor to make sauce with. My mother liked these greatly. The people I got these seeds from received them from a relative in Italy, and these hearts were all they grew.

(dead Photobucket link deleted)

I didn't grow these again this year because I misplaced my seed collection and just found it yesterday. :/ I substituted a Wetzel red oxheart with green shoulders this year because I got a late start and by them that's the only oxheart seed I could buy locally.

Last edited by MadCow333; July 21, 2017 at 02:15 PM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #27
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

So an even keel environment .......

even temp. even nutes but not OVER fertilization (Nitrogen quotient ) etc.

This year Local climate we went from real crappy cold late spring to a record hot spell record sun etc. a real swing of environmental factors ...

The ones that develop BER seem to be the ones that really put out

fruit setting early and are also loaded ...

once the temps even out and the plant has grown enough to "catch up" with the

fruit set demand ...the BER abates ?

but also the factors of "elongated " and oval fruit being more susceptible to BER

than the ones closer to "sphere" or oblate ?

Is it that some hearts grow like plum ...then fill out more to heart shape ?

Perhaps I should start a " clean fruit guaranteed " list ...

no BER , No Blemish , No Catfacing , No splitting , No cracking ...etc. etc. ?

I still think Matina / Tamina ...would hit that list for me ...
Old July 21, 2017   #28
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
BER is a figment of your imagination brought on by moldy bread or maybe an under cooked potato.

Worth
"You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"

In my house, except in December, when we might say the whole thing, we just say ...." A bit a puh-tay-tuh!".

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 21, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Round cherries almost never get ber, but I have had it happen. Oblong-shaped cherries are much worse about ber. Last year, I lost all of my oblong cherries to ber, except for Maglia Rosa, which did not get it at all.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017   #30
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
As for the quote from me that Black Bear noted above in a post, for me, after growing 4000 plus varieties I have never seen BER on any heart varieties nor on any cherry tomatoes.

And that goes for both external BER as well as internal BER.

Carolyn
You've been lucky. I have pulled three greenies with BER off my husband's Orange Minsk Heart plant. It was one of my extra plants that he adopted and put into a 7 gallon grow bag, and watering has not been as regular as for the plants in my beds which are on drip tied to our irrigation controller.
However, it has been subjected to the exact same watering and fertilizing schedule as his other six grow bag and bucket plants, and it is the only one with BER at this point.
I pulled this off of one of my Anna Russian plants today.

And my other AR plant has one as well, but that one is much larger, so I'm debating leaving it on and hoping the BER stays dry.

Granted, the 2 plants are producing magnificent, large, perfect, unblemished hearts in more than satisfactory quantities (still green, though, *impatient sigh*), so it's not that huge a loss, and it really looks like it's only 1 fruit on each plant.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote