Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 16, 2017   #1
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving my garlic!

I received some garlic after October planting time. I planted in late November. The garlic didn't sprout.... I have dug them up. A couple were rotted,but most are decent. So what to do now? I thought to dry them out a few days and check for more rotting. Do I put them in the fridge for vernaliztion and try to sprout them for spring? They probably won't bulb up, but maybe I could replant them at the proper fall time.
These bulbs were originally from France and hard to get to US. Any advice to save them is appreciated!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Some garlic is treated with chemical inhibitors to prevent sprouting in storage; don't know if that might be the case here.

Hedge your bets and replant half and put the other half in the refrigerator. (Numberwise, not splitting cloves!)
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

As it came from Europe, who knows what it was subjected to during its journey...

Or, could it just be that by the time it was planted, it was too cold for it to start establishing roots? I know up here the goal is to get it in the ground early enough in the fall for it to have some root growth before winter.

The cloves that did not rot may just be waiting for warmer temps to kick into growth mode.

I hope you are successful in saving some of it!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #4
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I am not a garlic expert by any means but I planted mine in October in PA and they didn't sprout until just 2 weeks ago which was early March. Sometimes I get sprouts in the Fall and sometimes I don't.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote