Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old 1 Week Ago   #256
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just a few comments.

Someone early in this thread said that Fusarium does not infect the seeds, and that fermenting the seed is what to do. And that is correct since Fusarium is only found on the outside of the seeds.

Pathogens such as the common bacterial ones as well as those viruses looked into,as well as Viroids, and now the Potato Spindle Virus from Australia, which also infects tomatoes,is also here in the US.

Some say they follow up with a bleach treatment,I never did as is true with many of my tomato friends as well.

Fact is, that several of us researched the oxidative methods of Oxyclean, Comet, etc, no one,to date has shown that it works for TOMATO seeds. Other seeds like pine cone,yes.

Carolyn
Old 1 Week Ago   #257
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
When that Dynamite food came out, I had several free samples of it. Me personally I didn't care for it. Didn't do a thing for me. I used to use Osmocote for in ground plants and then I switched to Vigrow (sp) from Home Depot. it about 8 bucks cheaper than Osmocote and seems to work better.

If you have a thrift store near by, get a cheap piece of sheer curtain material to provide a bit of shade for those plants at least til they get bigger. If you have any in the house, maybe your wife won't notice if one or two missing for a few months.

Gonna keep my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully something will grow or work out.
I have around 20 bed sheets that I use for shading. Our first born grandson named them dragons because they look sort of like Chinese dragons when being used.

From my personal experience on using organic fertilizers - I haven't seen any difference in the brands. I mostly just wanted to use it up to get it out of the garden tools and garden related barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post

Really?

Might work for someone with a Green Acres or King Ranch spread, but, can't the land-challenged enjoy a tomato, too?

Good luck with the new seeds and inspirations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I have that same question. My understanding is to rotate your crop and not plant again in the same spot for the same year. If that works great, but I have space challenge too and I can't see going even that long without planting again in the same spot without at least twice per year. I can rotate once and then I have to rotate back to the same containers.
It's a little closer to Green Acres out here. The 45'x45' main garden will be used to grow things that are supposed to kill RKN starting this fall with the second winter of growing Elbon Cereal Rye. This PDF explains it. http://30r8p93i26e4rjv9qo3ulokei.wpe...Cereal-Rye.pdf
Old 4 Days Ago   #258
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Well I hope that the address I had was correct, because, you have 4 packs of seeds on their way to you from Seeds and Such.

Nobody here is more deserving of these seeds that YOU. I hope that they work out and give you something that tastes like a tomato. If not, Oh Well.......
The tomato seeds from Seeds n Such arrived today. Along with a couple free packs of seeds.

Hybrid Turnip Royal Crown
Swiss Chard Celebration

Thank you very much