Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 24, 2009   #1
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Default growing potatoes in wire cage with straw?

Field fencing cages:

The cages are quite sturdy and are 4" x 6" mesh. I can make them any diameter and height. I container garden in a hollowed out area in a dense woods. The cage (no container) will be on top of a layer of weed guard fabric to keep the tree roots out. I'm new to growing potatoes. What I want to do is grow the potatoes in straw. I suppose I'll have to have a foot or so of compost on the bottom? And then layer with straw as the plant(s) grow. I got a little info from a search here, but can't seem to post the link. I searched "straw" in the Potatoes forum and got I think 13 hits, but not enough info.

I was gifted with a box of home-grown rather fancy potatoes, shallots and garlic over the holidays. Fantastic flavor. I used all but two to make potato burritos (superb) and planned to plant them in the spring. Didn't know how to store, but knew they had to be in the dark. I washed them, dried them, wrapped in paper towels and put in my cupboard. I also did same with a few Baby Dutch that I bought at local store. Just a few days ago unwrapped them and darned if two of them hadn't started to grow.

Potatoes sprouting:

Last week in conversation with member here was told to rinse potatoes, put them wet into a plastic ziploc and put in fridge to get the eyes to sprout. Is it too late for that? How do I cut them up... or do I? When do I plant them? What size cage? Do I need to isolate the varieties if I want to save to plant next year? I'm embarrased to admit that I did not know potatoes produced seed that is used for planting. I had planned to save the tubers. Do I tightly pack the straw? Can I fertilize with MiracleGro 15-30-15 like I do peppers and tomatoes? Any other tips appreciated.
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote