Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 4, 2013   #1
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Default Meyer Lemon Citrus care

Hi I'm new to citrus but got an idea from my neighbor who grows lemons in a pretty decent size pot on her porch out here in San Diego. I went out and bought a dwarf meyer lemon and a barass lime. Both in 5 gallon containers.

Anyone have suggestions on good soil to transfer them to and citrus fertilizer? I will be growing in containers probably around 20". I was told at the local nursery here to use a Palm and cactus mix for both trees. How true is that?

I was thinking this from home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100464259?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=soil&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100464259#. UTU_3Fc37IU

or

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202247318?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cactus+mix&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=20224 7318#.UTVB1Fc37IU

Last edited by kforbs126; March 4, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

In San Diego you should be able to grow both of those in the ground which for a tree, is always preferrable. I dont know about palm and cactus mix. I do know citrus require good drainage and will not tolerate standing water so any planting mix should accomplish that. If I were putting them in pots I would add something like like bark fines and/or perlite to the mix. Good luck!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #3
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
In San Diego you should be able to grow both of those in the ground which for a tree, is always preferrable. I dont know about palm and cactus mix. I do know citrus require good drainage and will not tolerate standing water so any planting mix should accomplish that. If I were putting them in pots I would add something like like bark fines and/or perlite to the mix. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so growing in ground can't happen.
Old March 5, 2013   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I used a typical peat-based pro-mix for my potted key lime and it's doing great. The specific soil you use is not going to matter as much as container size. I put osmocote fertilizer in the pot with it and use Alaskan fish fertilizer when I water. Container trees get root bound very quickly. At least in San Diego, you won't have to keep carrying it inside in cold weather like I have to. My key lime is in a 5-gallon bucket now and getting too big for that. At some point, it will probably end up in a garbage can strapped to a dolly so I can wheel it around.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #5
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I use cactus mix in a 24 inch pot. I feed with citrus food.
We do need to cover our potted citrus occasionally.
A Meyer can live all its life in a 24 inch pot-but I've heard that 18 will do.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #6
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I use cactus mix in a 24 inch pot. I feed with citrus food.
We do need to cover our potted citrus occasionally.
A Meyer can live all its life in a 24 inch pot-but I've heard that 18 will do.
Thanks for the information Deborah. When you transplanted it did you put any other fertilizer so it wouldn't get shock?
Old March 5, 2013   #7
Deborah

No ! Just watered it in. I have always heard not to feed when transplanting. Years ago I used B-12, I think it was, but not anymore.
Old March 5, 2013   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Debs post. Do not fert when transplanting unless, as stated it is a product like B-12.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #9
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I can't wait to transplant and see how it works out. I want to do it today but it's so gloomy here, may wait until friday.
Old March 5, 2013   #10
Deborah

Gloomy is what you want for transplanting anything !!! So they don't cook while they're adjusting. I never plant in sunny weather. Or if I do I shade the plant a day or so.
Old March 5, 2013   #11
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Gloomy is what you want for transplanting anything !!! So they don't cook while they're adjusting. I never plant in sunny weather. Or if I do I shade the plant a day or so.
LOL I know I just don't feel like being outside anymore today. I was freezing all day long.
Old March 5, 2013   #12
Deborah

But we're supposed to get 3 or 4 days of rain so you hafta !