Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 15, 2014   #16
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
So here is the cross squash. I had to take the vines out as they were dead from powdery mildew. My plan is to ripen this on the table on our deck where the squash will receive a lot of sun (we've had very favorable powdery mildew weather lately, warm sunny days and rather cool moist nights). From what I've read I think this will let the squash mature and have viable seeds. Does/has anyone done this with squash/pumpkins?
It should work out fine, though I would take care to protect the squash from squirrels. I had a set of ripening sunflower heads go missing last year for lack of protection.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2014   #17
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I stored my mature Lemon x Tatume squash in the basement for about 4 weeks and harvested the seeds. Looking forward to growing the F1 next year, as you can see I have plenty of seeds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fall2014_12sm.jpg (232.7 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Fall2014_13sm.jpg (362.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Fall2014_15sm.jpg (329.3 KB, 216 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2014   #18
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Great project. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more next summer and the summer after.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2014   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Sounds like we both have similar projects going. So what are your pictures crosses from? The zephyr x lemon or that f1 with the other squash? I haven't grown zephyr, I'm assuming it is bush habit? One of the most important goals in my project to select for vining habit from the Tatume since I grow my summer squash vertically. I'm looking forward to growing the f1 next year, side by side both parents for comparisons. You should start a thread to document your project it would be neat to see your progress. I'd be happy to share any seed if interested I've got over 100 f1 seed.
Old October 19, 2014   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Sounds like we both have similar projects going. So what are your pictures crosses from? The zephyr x lemon or that f1 with the other squash? I haven't grown zephyr, I'm assuming it is bush habit? One of the most important goals in my project to select for vining habit from the Tatume since I grow my summer squash vertically. I'm looking forward to growing the f1 next year, side by side both parents for comparisons. You should start a thread to document your project it would be neat to see your progress. I'd be happy to share any seed if interested I've got over 100 f1 seed.
Have you tried Costata romanesca? Nice long vines and very dense, tasty zuchinni, but better than most zuchinni. The squash are still delicious when baseball bat size!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2014   #21
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried that squash. I recall reading conflicting information about its habit. Will it easily climb a trellis? I'll have to give those a try along side the other squash this year. Sounds like a good tasting squash. Thanks!
Old October 23, 2014   #22
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

No worries about posting here, I enjoy reading the posts. It is a very nice looking squash! I hope winter comes late and your seeds mature. Good luck with your F2 growing next year! I'd love to trade but I have a small garden and wouldn't have room to grow my project and parent squash plus yours, but I would be happy to mail you some of my F1 seed, just PM your mailing address.

And yes this stuff is great. I can't wait to see the variety in the F2 stage. Your F1 gives me A lot of hope for a very tasty crop of F1 in 2015.
Old October 24, 2014   #23
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Seeds are packaged up. Just have to get stamps tomorrow, we're out. They'll be in the mail Monday if not tomorrow.

Justin
Old October 25, 2014   #24
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I haven't tried that squash. I recall reading conflicting information about its habit. Will it easily climb a trellis? I'll have to give those a try along side the other squash this year. Sounds like a good tasting squash. Thanks!
It will climb a trellis. It has a lot of big leaves in the center like a "bush" but then it spreads with vines quite far. It is a huge plant,though.
Spaghetti squash is also c.pepo I think. Mine have always made big,viney plants.
I grew Tatume this year and ended up giving them to the chickens. Just wasn't a fan.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2014   #25
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I'll try one instead of the bush zuke we grew and let the vines crawl toward the trellis. If we love the flavor it always be something to breed into my project down the line. I enjoy Tatume, we always pick it shortly after flowering and grill/roast pieces, we do like the flavor of the lemon squash a bit more though.
Old April 21, 2015   #26
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Monty, please do let me know how things go for you! I haven't started them yet. I'll sow them in cow pots around May 1 and stick them in the ground mid May. The weather is still too cool up here to be planting squash and the like.
Old April 21, 2015   #27
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Got your PM! Sounds great! Post any pictures you'd like!

Justin
Old April 21, 2015   #28
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty71466 View Post
Here's what I've got Justin.
Daggum! I have to grow one of them!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #29
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Monty, thanks for the picture! The habit it great to see. It looks much more Tatume like than I was guessing--I was expecting more Lemon like habit in the F1. Looks like it is a good climber. The fruit looks very Lemon like, which is what I was guessing, at least color. Is there any subtle darker webbing-like lines on the fruit (immature Tatume is light green with webbing-like lines of darker green). I really can't to get mine started!
Old April 22, 2015   #30
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Any updates are fine with me Monty. Post away! I'll post my updates as well once things get growing. It would be interesting to hear how they do relative to other squash you're growing with regards to fungal issues and insect issues as the season progresses.