Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 12, 2014   #1
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I add calcium nitrate to the watering system of my zucchini?

I have one zucchini in a city pickers planter (smaller version of earth box).

Last year we have two in that same container and did really well for a while till powdery mildew hit us. This year is our 2nd year trying to grow veggies. And as I learnt from this forum I had over crowded my boxes I went with only one zucchini in the box.... It's doing better than last year in one aspect (two months in and it's bigger than last years and now mildew so far) but many of the leaves are yellowing and the zucchini are growing slowly....also I found one was fertilized grew a large bulbous end near the stem and the other end stayed small till a black rotten spot at flower end developed.

From what I've read thanks to google it sounds like blossom end rot? Or perhaps not enough nitrogen? We did the same process when planting as last year. Potting mix layer of dolomite. And troughs of fertilizer.

I do have some calcium nitrate which I bought read for when we plant some tommy plants (got that tip from this forum too) to avoid blossom end rot in those...can I also add it to the watering system of my zucchini? Is so how much and how often?
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote