Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 27, 2014   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default best garlic to preserve

Which garlic is the best to preserve?
I found a website where they said a couple hardneck varieties would store longer then softnecks.
But I can't recover the website....
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've always read that soft necks store longer. I think there are some hard necks that store longer than most,too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I know I've read the same thing several times, just don't ask me where. I've also recently read in a seed description that Music is one of the longer keeping hard necks.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2014   #4
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I grow Music, Red Inchelium, and Late German. Red Inchelium lasts the shortest time, Music makes it until late-ish Winter, and Late German makes it until Spring, usually.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #5
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

AS A GARLIC LOVING CHEF, I HAVE BECOME OBSESSED WITH THE HARDNECK VARIETY SO MUCH, I GROW IT. ROCAMBOLE AND PORCELAIN ARE MY FAVORITES.
ROCAMBOLE IS A TAN COLOR , WHILE, PORCELAIN IS SNOWY WHITE .GARLIC IS VERY EASY TO GROW AND AS A GARDENER IT GIVES ME SOMETHING TO PLANT IN NOVEMBER
HARDNECK IS THE VARIETY YOU FIND MOST COMMONLY IN FARMERS MARKETS.

HARDNECKS ARE DISTINGUISHED BY A STIFF “NECK” OR STALK IN THE CENTER OF THE BULB AND HAVE FEWER BUT MORE UNIFORM CLOVES AND THINNER SKIN THAN SOFTNECK VARIETIES (THESE ARE THE COMMERICIAL GROWN VARIETY). IT’S FLAVOR IS BITING, SPICY, SWEET, SMOOTH, NUTTY, AND ELEGANT ALL AT ONE TIME. IT’S CHARACTERISTICS ARE MOST PRONOUNCED WHEN USED IN RAW PREPARATIONS SUCH AS PESTO AND WITH ITS UNIFORM SIZE, IS BEST FOR ROASTING THE CLOVES FOR A WONDERRUL SWEET, RICH AND NUTTY PASTE. THIS IS ALSO THE PERFECT GARLIC WHEN SLICED FINELY ON A MARINARA PIZZA OR PIZZA BIANCO

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm actually adding a soft necked variety to my garlic crop for next year -- Chinese Pink. My reasons for trying it are that I was placing an order for other garlics anyway, and it's listed as being an early variety that's typically ready 4-6 weeks ahead of the others.

I have not had to purchase garlic since I started growing my own a number of years ago, but what's left by the time May rolls around is in a pretty sorry state--still usable, but barely. I'm hoping a few heads of Chinese Pink will be ready by the time the hard necks are just starting to send up scapes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #7
bullish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
AS A GARLIC LOVING CHEF, I HAVE BECOME OBSESSED WITH THE HARDNECK VARIETY SO MUCH, I GROW IT. ROCAMBOLE AND PORCELAIN ARE MY FAVORITES.
ROCAMBOLE IS A TAN COLOR , WHILE, PORCELAIN IS SNOWY WHITE .GARLIC IS VERY EASY TO GROW AND AS A GARDENER IT GIVES ME SOMETHING TO PLANT IN NOVEMBER
HARDNECK IS THE VARIETY YOU FIND MOST COMMONLY IN FARMERS MARKETS.

HARDNECKS ARE DISTINGUISHED BY A STIFF “NECK” OR STALK IN THE CENTER OF THE BULB AND HAVE FEWER BUT MORE UNIFORM CLOVES AND THINNER SKIN THAN SOFTNECK VARIETIES (THESE ARE THE COMMERICIAL GROWN VARIETY). IT’S FLAVOR IS BITING, SPICY, SWEET, SMOOTH, NUTTY, AND ELEGANT ALL AT ONE TIME. IT’S CHARACTERISTICS ARE MOST PRONOUNCED WHEN USED IN RAW PREPARATIONS SUCH AS PESTO AND WITH ITS UNIFORM SIZE, IS BEST FOR ROASTING THE CLOVES FOR A WONDERRUL SWEET, RICH AND NUTTY PASTE. THIS IS ALSO THE PERFECT GARLIC WHEN SLICED FINELY ON A MARINARA PIZZA OR PIZZA BIANCO

Old chef
Great info - thanks!!
Old May 17, 2015   #8
troad
Tomatovillian™

Info here:

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/
Old May 18, 2015   #9
bullish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by troad View Post