Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 2, 2012   #1
gixxerific
Tomatovillian™

Default ? about Volunteer Garlic

I don't know if volunteer garlic is the right wording. But these came up by themselves. If you look at this row and it is a definite row, I believe this is the same area I had bubils in this spring. This row here even starts about the same place the bubils since they didn't go the entire width of the garden. But there are several other patches of these in different spots as well. Also my bubils all died early this spring for some reason.
The other patches all look the same so that has me rethinking the bubil idea. When dug up they are definitely not a single bulb but a grouping of cloves all with their own separate root system.
I'm not really sure what to do with them. Should I dig them up and carefully replant them. There might be 70+ separate plants here. Will they grow like a normal garlic clove. I am assuming they will. I had this last year and left them in clumps and they withered and died. I even thought about trying a few in pots which I am sure I will I have more than enough garlic to plant so If I ripped all these out I wouldn't be out much in reality.
So first off what are these, is this what happens when you miss a bulb? Is this what happens when you plant Bubils? This is my first year trying bubils so I am not sure what to expect. The other patches might be bubils that fell off during harvest. Finally what should I do with these?
Thanks, Dono

These pics aren't the greatest if needed I can get better ones, again thanks.
gixxerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2012   #2
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I'd use them in cooking , fresh as required as they'll be milder and give a great flavor to meals with them in it.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2012   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Your garlic didn't die. It went dormant due to the heat and drought. That happens every year in my part of Oklahoma. You can thin it out if you want, or you can leave it be and next year when it starts to "die" again, harvest it.

For future reference. To grow that garlic in the future, plant it in mid summer to early fall. (just after the first good cold front breaks the summer heat, but not permanently. It will sprout grow a little, go dormant in winter, sprout again in spring, grow to a good size and when the heat and drought hit in summer "die". Then harvest it! This years garlic for me has been hanging in braids for months! On that same section of my garden I followed it with 2 more crops! One for summer squash and now a fall/over winter brassica crop.

PS I am somewhat surprised to see garlic acting that way so far north. It acts that way almost every year down here, but never did when I lived in Indiana. Climate wise you are kinda in between but I guess these hot summers got you. My guess is that different strains of garlic react differently, but I can't say for sure. I grow 2 strains and save some from last years to plant the next years. So I never buy garlic bulbils.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2012   #4
gixxerific
Tomatovillian™

The garlic didn't die the bubils did or at least I think they did. But do bubils make multi bulbs like this?

I plant my garlic mid Oct I know what I am doing there. Just not with Bubils.
gixxerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2012   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

bulbils will usually do one of two things the first year. they form either a single clove called a round or some varieties will form a complete small bulb. multiple sprouts in one spot indicates a small bulb has formed. you can use them for green garlic. if left to their own accord they will become a clump of small bulbs. the single shoots are rounds. they will continue to grow, and will form a full sized bulb next year if it has enough space. you may want to thin them out if its looking too crowded. the clumps you can try separating them, and replant them. best when done early as possible. they may not reach full size, but they should at least be bigger than if you left them in a clump.

i planted several hundred bulbils last year because i didn't have much regular garlic, and most of them formed small bulbs. i have about ten pounds worth of garlic just from the bulbils. i will replant some of those cloves this fall, and i expect to have full size bulbs next year.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2012   #6
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I would separate those and replant.

I planted bulbils in a row and some rodent messed up the row. I ended up with a few small rounds. I am hoping that what I didn't find, or what wasn't eaten by the rodent, will grow as yours did.

When I have assistance, a clove or two always ends up in the wrong spot - a "volunteer", or I miss a bulb and end up with what you have.

I think if the cloves had more space (were separated), they would plump and become more round.

I've read that planting too early (which is essentially what happens if you miss a plant at harvest) cause the elongated clove, vs the more round shape.

I am amazed at garlic's tenacity for survival.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote