Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old September 15, 2010   #1
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Default Another year gone!

My garden is cleaned up except for a few frost hardy things. the weather guesser is calling for frost tonight.Will till the garden this afternoon[it's too wet but will till any way] calling for more rain tonight. Where was all the rain two months ago when the garden needed it??? Onions are still drying on the rack and looking like more of them will keep than I first thought, but they are still small. How is your garden doing???
YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010   #2
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Another year gone? Not yet. First full moon after the first frost is the time to get the garlic planted. (If you believe 'Old-Farmers-Tales'.)
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2010   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

hey yopper,

tonight they (the weather guessers ... i find that a really funny term!) are calling for upper 30's by morning. this is not going to be good for all the tomatoes i have that i hoped would ripen before the end of sept. the days have been in the 60's and low 70's and nights are in the upper 40's for almost 2 weeks, nice cool dry weather but not conductive for ripening tomatoes.

still no rain here tho we are supposed to get some thursday night. it's been a brutally hot rainless humid summer.

remember how i got 7 pounds of onions vs the normal 70? well i checked them in the barn last week and had to throw out another 10% of them due to rotting! they were all tiny, almost the size of sets, so no real loss.

i still have tomatoes, peppers, swiss chard, pole beans, broccoli, summer and winter squashes, basil, lettuce, beets, carrots and cabbages growing.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2010   #4
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Hey TOM sounds like we had about the same weather and the same luck with the onions.It's raining hard here right now,water standing in the yard.No mowing grass today!!! The garden is tilled and put to bed for the winter. Good gardening to ya Tom and to rin tin tin I am an old farmer and have been known to tell a tale or two!!!
YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote