Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 27, 2010   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Lots of Rose Photos

Hi All,
Some of you know another garden passion of mine is my roses. I haven't posted any pics in quite some time so I thought I would post a few of my roses.
All my roses are grown without any babying. I do not spray them. I do not fertilize them except for digging a very good hole with amendments when first planted. There's been a few over the years that looked weak(most never have) so I have added compost if that happens, but that's it.

Souvenir De La Malmaison, Bourbon

Mme. Ernst Calvat, Bourbon

Full shot of Hawkeye Belle, Buck

Close up of Hawkeye Belle

Long John Silver, climber

Full shot of Bow Bells, English/Austin, with me

Close up of Bow Bells

Leontine Gervais, rambler, covering up an arbor

Leontine Gervais closer up

Fantin Latour, Centifolia hybrid

St. Cecelia, English/Austin

Hope you enjoyed,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #2
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

A beautiful shot of Hawkeye Belle; heck they all look really nice. Must be an awesome scent sitting amidst all those roses, especially in the gloaming as the dewpoint gets close.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #3
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing. Your roses are beautiful!!!
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

OMG Remydew! Your roses are breathtaking! Could you tell me what amendment recipe you add to your planting hole and how you protect them for winter?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #5
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely stunning roses and beautifully captured! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #6
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

Wow Remy! Gorgeous! I have a weakness for roses too. My Fantin Latour is a little crowded and didn't do much this year. It seems like this was a good year for roses in WNY. Mine didn't look as nice as yours but I was pleased. Mine have mostly petered out -the Fairy is still going strong for me and probably will right up until a hard frost. I'm envious of your Leontine Gervais!
lj in ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #7
remy

Thanks Everyone!

Timmah,
I love the way it smells. I try to plant lots of things besides the roses too so I have scented plants for much of the garden season. I do notice it most in the evening when I've been gone. It is like my house is welcoming me home.

Dust,
I dig a big hole. I save the best soil and get rid of the solid clay chunks. (Roses actually do well in clay, but not so much with super solid stuff.) Then I add a lot of compost/manure, some peat moss, and bone meal. I mulch well with cedar or cypress.
I do not winter protect. I have a survival of the fittest garden. Most everything is own root not grafted. If I do get a grafted rose like Bow Bells was, I make sure I plant deep enough to bury the graft a couple inches down.

LJ,
It was a good rose year. My The Fairy is pumping out blooms right now also! Cool, you have a Fantin Latour too!! Mine takes up a lot of space. In fact I have to hack it back once it is done blooming because it is just out of control.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old June 27, 2010   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Remy -- Your roses are fabulous! Sure wish I could grow more varieties here.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2010   #9
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Remy your roses are beautiful, mine certainly do not compare.
Great job,

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2010   #10
remy

Thanks you two!
Remy

Old June 29, 2010   #11
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous roses, and the smell must be heaven!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I loved looking at your roses Remy, you know that. I can't take photos and I'm not even sure of some of the spellings but what's been spectacular for me this year have been:

Lillian Gibson, a prolific pink once bloomer
Zepherine Drouhine or similar spelling, LOL, gorgeous large red
John Cabot, red climber
New Dawn, single white

.... and a yellow Austin out by the road which withstood the wanderings of the snowplows that took out the other four Austins and the name is somewhere, but not in my head at the moment.

No way can I reconstruct all the mini roses I have without checking my data books, but I lost three over the winter, just not enough snow cover.

And the best for last.

Three years ago I made contact online with someone from NC and she offered to send me two roses ( this was a tomato site, LOL) that were growing wild in an old cemetery on the side of a MT at the back of their property although they also owned beyond that cemetery. She said the one was climbing into the trees and had wonderful frangrance and was pink and the other one was a single small red.

Last year there were a few blooms but this they really did well. It turns out the pink one is a moss rose and when I had my other gardens where I grew over a 100 different rose varieties moss roses were some of my favorites. She was right, the frangrance is suberb, and while now it's just sprawling, I have two plants, I'm hoping it will start to climb/

The other one is a single red and while we both tried to ID them it just wasn't possible given conflicting information.

Since I can't tend to my gardens when Freda is here each time she brings in bouquets of whatever is out and lately the frangrance of some of my mini roses has been just wonderful.
Old July 1, 2010   #13
remy

Carolyn,
I've seen amazing pics of the roses you mention. I even contemplated buying New Dawn at one time, but never did. Now I don't have the room. I've always heard wonderful things about Z. Drouhin.
That is so neat about the found roses. I have a mini moss , Dresden Doll, but I would like a full sized one. I have a few minis along my front walk. I put them these instead of out back because of the dogs. Well, out front, the rabbits like to eat them so I often don't see much of any blooms. I can't win.
Remy