Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 10, 2011   #1
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default My first real season growing heirloom tomatoes

Looking back over this season, I had one of my greatest tomato patches ever. I built crw cages, 24, 2 ft wide, 5 ft tall. Ended up planting a little too close, and my neighbors called it the tomato jungle, . But it was lush and green til late august when septoria showed up, and then it didn't really get hurt too much. I had added a second garden this year both at about 600 sq feet each. I have a blue tarp put down late in the summer for a third for next year. Gonna buy another roll of wire for cages.
I put out a roadside stand this year at the end of the driveway, first time to ever do this. Results were OK, but I was surprised at the number of people that took one look, and left with no purchase. It was just heirloom tomatoes. I had planned on a few peppers, but the plants I bought (didn't have seed) from a local nursery produced the worst tasting peppers I have ever grown, and I threw them out. It was a small table, shielded by a golf umbrella, with a money jar on an honor system, so I was only out there when I saw somebody pull in. Some people left before I could get out there to explain that in heirlooms, often ugly means good in the flavor department. I know I sold them too cheap, but the idea was to defray the cost of what I spent making cages and buying seed and plants. I went around to the local highway stands, and most were charging $1.00 for a single large (softball size) tasteless tomato, so that is what I charged for my larges. All tolled, I took in $230. After costs, I figure I worked all summer for 2 cents an hour, . I did provide the close neighbors with free tomatoes, and family, and we ate a ton. I had gained a lot of weight from kicking my nicotine habit, and all the work and stuffing myself with tomatoes, I lost 40 lbs this summer!!!! So it was a total success in my book, plus I made some new friends and spread the word about heirlooms. I think I ended up with 2-3 customers that came back every other day and bought up my beef steaks ( BW suddeth, and mortgage lifter). I also had the cherries and juane flamme, and what turned out to be non-stupice, But the smalls didnt do as well once they discovered the big pinks !!
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing this uplifting story on a Monday morning- great to hear what a positive experience you had with your first year of heirlooms.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a great summer - congratulations.
Old October 10, 2011   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I think that was wonderful! Perhaps next year you could put up a sign explaining what heirloom tomatoes are, and then put mini signs next to the baskets with descriptions of each heirloom tomato? Or sort them as in "eating tomatoes" and "cooking tomatoes". People who like to make sauce would love a basket of fresh home grown tomatoes !

New friends, lost weight, quit smoking, and having a a great garden, you had a great summer!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #5
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! What a great story!
I have so many experiences too....I wouldn't give up growing heirlooms for anything.

Keep up the good work and best of luck next year!

Last edited by BigBrownDogHouse; October 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: misplaced word
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #6
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Great synopsis of your year! Excellent weight loss!
I agree with LakeLady. Make a sign with brief description especially since you are not out there to chat all the time, something like "Heirlooms Tomatoes ~ we taste great!" or "Heirloom Tomatoes ~ Grown for flavor not for looks." Though I think they are beautiful, but anyway you get the idea. Once more people know they taste good, you'll have lots of repeat customers.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #7
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default signs

Actually, when I saw the first people that left without trying, I made up signs, exactly as all of you mentioned. I had them out most of the time, but after a while the small table was too crowded, with 3 trays, two different sized baskets for the smalls, and a discount bin for the really uglies. I even had a sign saying try any one for free, just to get them to taste. I already have made a bigger table for next year (foldable, everything out in the morning, evening I load into the back of my garden trailer and park in the garage). One thing that I was really pleased about, no one took advantage of the honor system. The year before my son sold plants he started from seed, at the end of his driveway (out of sight of his house) and towards the end, somebody took them all without leaving a nickel. That was disheartening. This type of operation is definately a labor of love. Thanx to all for the great replies, I can't wait for next year.

Last edited by kenny_j; October 10, 2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: corrections
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Honor system WITH a game cam!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2011   #9
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_j View Post
Actually, when I saw the first people that left without trying, I made up signs, exactly as all of you mentioned. I had them out most of the time, but after a while the small table was too crowded, with 3 trays, two different sized baskets for the smalls, and a discount bin for the really uglies. I even had a sign saying try any one for free, just to get them to taste. I already have made a bigger table for next year (foldable, everything out in the morning, evening I load into the back of my garden trailer and park in the garage). One thing that I was really pleased about, no one took advantage of the honor system. The year before my son sold plants he started from seed, at the end of his driveway (out of sight of his house) and towards the end, somebody took them all without leaving a nickel. That was disheartening. This type of operation is definately a labor of love. Thanx to all for the great replies, I can't wait for next year.
With the bigger table and signs next year you should do good.
A lot of people around here have honor system for plants and veggies in place. It works well and 99.9% of the people pay. Your son's story reminds me of a sign I saw when I stopped at a plant stand out on 104. It said something like "To the lady with the short gray hair who drives a Buick and lives in Newfane, I know you are taking plants. These are not free, you have to pay."
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old October 11, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
With the bigger table and signs next year you should do good.
A lot of people around here have honor system for plants and veggies in place. It works well and 99.9% of the people pay. Your son's story reminds me of a sign I saw when I stopped at a plant stand out on 104. It said something like "To the lady with the short gray hair who drives a Buick and lives in Newfane, I know you are taking plants. These are not free, you have to pay."
Remy
That was me Remy. I was trying to find my way to your home.

Except I have short blonde/gray hair and I drive a Camry and don't live in Newfane.

I thought I paid, I really did, but if not next time you see such a sign you can pay for me and I'll reimburse you with either money or tomato seeds, whichever you prefer.

A deal?
Old October 12, 2011   #11
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
That was me Remy. I was trying to find my way to your home.

Except I have short blonde/gray hair and I drive a Camry and don't live in Newfane.

I thought I paid, I really did, but if not next time you see such a sign you can pay for me and I'll reimburse you with either money or tomato seeds, whichever you prefer.

A deal?
I know you love your plants, but thieving really? I always forget you know 104 from your Rochester days. I don't know how much you drove out of town back then, but it is still a beautiful country drive.
Remy