Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2024   #1
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Default Texas tomato vs Grow Big

In the past I always used TTF, but this year am thinking to switch to something else. I grow outside in raised beds, TTF has been good but expensive, am trying to grow less plants so buying most economical option of TTF of 4 G is no longer needed. Plus my soil analysis is way too high in Ca so will need to do lot of foliar feeds anyway.
I found old threads that are useful. Am wondering about any other products. Maybe something new?
Any recommendations?

Last edited by Lindalana; March 2, 2024 at 07:15 PM.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2024   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello Lindalana

What is TTF? I grow all Natural so I have been trying to look it up in different ways.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2024   #3
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Texas Tomato Food
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2024   #4
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

OK, My Husband is from Texas.

Let me do some research because there is a lot of Red Dirt in Texas and Oklahoma, Amen!
Old March 3, 2024   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
In the past I always used TTF, but this year am thinking to switch to something else. I grow outside in raised beds, TTF has been good but expensive, am trying to grow less plants so buying most economical option of TTF of 4 G is no longer needed. Plus my soil analysis is way too high in Ca so will need to do lot of foliar feeds anyway.
I found old threads that are useful. Am wondering about any other products. Maybe something new?
Any recommendations?
Ok, from My Notes and Hubby's Notes do the Following

1. In your Raised Bed add Potting soil of any type to your "Red Clay Dirt".
2. Each year in these Raided Bebs add your 'Throw-a-way food", that does not have meat. Especially in the Winter deep in your Work areas of the Raised Beds.

If I were you; I would buy Potting Soil from the Dollar Store to save money if the Potting Siol costs more than that TTF. But the Potting Soil stays alone in your Dirt, Amen!!
Old March 3, 2024   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!
Yes, it is Texas Tomato Food and I have had good results with it. There is large older thread on using TTF and lots of converts. I am a biological gardener so it works for me.
We moved 3 years ago and my soil is different, soil analysis shows lot more Ca which makes soil deficient in releasing other minerals so am trying to wrap my head around it and what are my next steps. The goal eventually arrive to balanced soil and garden that replenish itself.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2024   #7
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

TTF is not organic if that makes a difference to you, it uses calcium nitrate which isn't approved for organic production.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2024   #8
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Neither of those products are certified organic. Since I prefer growing organic I use Fish Emulsion. If you wanted to get more Potassium and phosphorus you could add wood ash Which is what I use. Like Mrs J said kitchen scraps and compost. I am putting all my banana peels on my sweet potato rows since they love potassium as an example of how to use kitchen scraps. You can get 5 gallons of fish emulsion in the fall for 95 dollars and you get a nice bucket.

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Emulsi...9481460&sr=8-2
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote