Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 24, 2010   #106
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

salty,

I found that if you let the SWC dry out, then re-wicking the entire container takes some doing (days to get it "pumping" again). Anyway, it will be interesting to study your Grow Media combo options over your cool months now. Let us know what materials you were able to assemble in Australia.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2010   #107
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to SWC's. I've grown tomatoes in containers before but the results were always less than inspiring. I stumbled upon Ray's Earthtainer System while websurfing last winter. I like to experiment and it looked like it might work so I gathered up enough materials for four of them. I built them as the weather grew warmer. My biggest problem was finding the Rubbermaid containers at a reasonable price. Lowes doesn't sell them on the East Coast but I scored a few that were very similar to Ray's recommended tote for $17ea. at a local store. It looks like I'll have to use Sterilite next year. The cages were also a problem but I used a different support system so I didn't need the super heavy duty ones Ray recommended.(the extra height would have been nice though)
I live near the Atlantic Coast and although it keeps me warmer in the winter, it slows down the warming in the Spring. I rarely plant tomatoes before Mother's Day. This year I didn't do it until May 22. All I can say is WOW! My plants have been in the ground for 6 1/2 weeks, they're all over 5 feet tall and they're loaded with tomatoes. For the sake of comparison, my 'in the ground' tomatoes are very healthy plants but they're only about 3 feet tall and have half as many tomatoes. Anyone who sees my plants is amazed at their size and their vigor. How much can you possibly fine tune this system? It seems perfect to me. I'm still stunned at the difference.
I used a cheapo potting mix from Home Depot mixed with Perlite, lime and standard 5-10-5 garden fertilizer. I'm afraid to think what might have happened if I used a tomato specific fertilizer. The plants would be devouring my house.

The point of this post in intended for those who are researching the idea of using SWC's. I've been growing tomatoes for close to 40 years and I can tell you for a fact that they work. They work better than anything else you've ever tried, save an incredible amount of water and after they're built, there's very little work for you to do. Just water the containers and eat the tomatoes. I think I'll try cukes on a trellis next year, maybe some pole beans.

Thanks Ray. You're a genius.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2010   #108
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

duckfan,

Thanks, but this has been a collaborative effort of many folks here on Tomatovlle. The next "Group" focus will I hope, be on tuning the best combinations of potting mix, bark fines, perlite, greensand, and other available ingredients, to come up with a combo mix that keeps the plants green and productive throughout the Season.

Perhaps a bit too much to expect, but with several people here running various trials on mix combos, we will get it optimized over the next few years. Post some photos when you get a chance, and keep us updated on both good and bad experiences. That is how we all learn over time.

Raybo
Old July 10, 2010   #109
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

I built "2" Earthtainers this spring. I got a late start planting them out only 3 weeks ago. My smallest plant is a Cherokee Purple at 28 inches and my tallest is a Better Boy and a Legend plant both at 42 inches tall. the two tallest plants were put in the Earthtainers at 10 inches tall 3 weeks ago. I cannot believe how fast these plants are growing I put a Brandywine in the ground on June 1st next to the Earthtainer for comparison and it is also 42 inches tall. The Better Boy and the Legend were put out 2 weeks later and have caught up to the Brandywine in height. I can't imagine how big my plants will be in another 4 weeks or so. I have the heavy duty glamos cages and it looks like I am gonna have to buy 4 more to use for extensions very soon Ray is a master in his development of this great SWC system This is my 1st year growing tomatoes and I look like a seasoned pro around here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
Old July 10, 2010   #110
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

How much better can you do than this? These plants are only 6 weeks old. Like I said, it's about as close to a perfect system as you can get. My biggest problem right now is that they're way bigger than I expected. My next problem is going to be the over abundance of tomatoes. I think I can deal with it.
Again, thanks for all the time that was put into this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes1.JPG (72.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes2.JPG (93.8 KB, 51 views)
Old July 10, 2010   #111
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfan View Post
How much better can you do than this? These plants are only 6 weeks old. Like I said, it's about as close to a perfect system as you can get. My biggest problem right now is that they're way bigger than I expected. My next problem is going to be the over abundance of tomatoes. I think I can deal with it.
Again, thanks for all the time that was put into this.
Daaayuum........ They are gonna be shade trees in another month or so Guess ya should of gone with the bigger cages You will need a step ladder to pick the fruit.
Old July 10, 2010   #112
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

Hey Talon,
Let us know what you think of the Legend Tomatoes when they come in. They're supposed to be Late Blight tolerant, correct? Don't cheat and use chlorothalonil now. We need the straight poop.
Old July 10, 2010   #113
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfan View Post
Hey Talon,
Let us know what you think of the Legend Tomatoes when they come in. They're supposed to be Late Blight tolerant, correct? Don't cheat and use chlorothalonil now. We need the straight poop.
Too late buddy.....I am cheating with Daconil. Late Blight was bad in Michigan last year. I can't afford to lose my very first experience growing maters to disease My plants are like children to me here. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
Old July 10, 2010   #114
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

OK. In that case just let me know how they taste.
Old July 10, 2010   #115
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

duckfan,

Speaking of disease prevention, I would REALLY recommend you space out your 'Tainers with at least 3 feet between the two rows. While your foliage looks nice and green now, without the Sun penetrating, and without good air circulation, those bottom leaves and branches will soon be disease "bait".

Looks like you've got plenty of room on your brick patio to give them some individual space, so that would be my project before Monday morning when you are hopping on the L.I.E.

Raybo
Old July 11, 2010   #116
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

Yes. I've been thinking about that. For the time being I might just go in there with a hedge trimmer. The wife is starting to complain about all the space they're taking up now and there are going to be way too many tomatoes for me anyway. Increasing the footprint of my kitchen garden may be out of the question. It would require re-arranging some of the wife's potted plants.

What is it with women and rose bushes anyway? They look nice and they smell nice but they're high maintenance and if you touch them the wrong way, they'll hurt you. (Hey! Just like a woman)

When I feel the need to leave Long Island, I use the Northern State. Not only do you meet a nicer class of people on there, my GPS says its shorter.
Old July 11, 2010   #117
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I don't like about the N.S.P are all the cars getting on with short ramps. Really causes a lot of tire marks at the merge ramps.

I spend a fair amount of time at the Residence Inn just beyond where the N.S.P. ends in Hauppauge. Pretty area.

Raybo
Old July 11, 2010   #118
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

I live next door to Hauppauge in Nesconset. Congratulations on spelling it correctly. Very few people can do that.
I get on the Northern State where it begins in Commack (Hauppauge is actually a little further east) and don't get off until the Clearview Expressway. Once I'm on it I stay to the left. Ramps aren't a problem for me but I know what you mean.
You're right. It is a pretty area and a great place for raising kids and growing tomatoes.
Old January 30, 2012   #119
ras123
Tomatovillian™

I want to try using the 50 gallon totes from Lowes (http://www.lowes.com/pd_314139-61896...ductId=3098759)

They are on sale this week at my local store.

Has anyone used the larger size?

If so have you used 2 wick baskets when using 50 gallon bases?

Thanks!
ras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #120
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

If you try the 50 gal containers, make sure you put them exactly where you want them. Moving a fully loaded 30 gal container takes two strong men. You would need at least 3 and possibly 4 men to move a 50 gal container.