Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 31, 2014   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Frozen zucchini and squash taste bad

I have been freezing some of the fresh zucchini and yellow squash that I grow and it tastes bad when I cook it only a week or so later.

Here is what I do.

First off I grow open pollinated yellow crooked neck squash and open pollinated zucchini.

I harvest the crooked neck squash when they are about 5 inches long and the zucchini at about 6- 8 inches long.

Then I wash them off really good and slice them and then put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them. All within a few hours of picking them from the vine.

After only a week of being frozen I steam them and they have an "off" taste like they are rotten or something.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2014   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, I haven't tried any of what I've frozen yet. The only difference is I blanch mine for just a minute or so, then into an ice bath for a little bit and then quickly out to drain. then blot it with paper towels. I freeze it on a sheet pan first to keep all the pieces separate and then move it to bags. I'll try to sample some of it this week and see how it tastes. You've got me curious.
Old July 31, 2014   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I never noticed a rotten taste. But because squash is so full of water to start with, it does have a soggy watery taste if trying to use it like fresh. It needs to be used in something well cooked.

I've froze zucchini as shreds and then used it in things like zucchini bread and it worked fine as far as I was concerned.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2014   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I had planned to use it for something like minestrone or ratatouille. I can totally see what you're saying about it being soggy just trying to serve it as a side dish. I'll try mine and report back.
Old July 31, 2014   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I think it does need to be blanched then plunged in ice water and drained well before freezing. My mother has been successfully doing it this way the last few years. After she drains the disks, she lays them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freezes them. Once they're frozen, she transfers them to a ziplock bag so she can pull out only what she needs.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2014   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I shred mine and pack it in bags with no processing at all. It will thaw out more watery than fresh but if you thaw in a colander it drains itself and works fine. I have never noticed an off taste to it though.
Could there be something bad in the freezer that it is picking up odor from?
Old August 5, 2014   #7
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Shelleybean, Wi-sunflower, Father's Daughter, and Barbee.

I still don't know why they tasted bad. I'm fine with them being mushy it's the bad taste that made me concerned.

I'm going to pay close attention to everything I do when I freeze more of them to see if I can figure it out.

Jim
Old August 5, 2014   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno View Post
I have been freezing some of the fresh zucchini and yellow squash that I grow and it tastes bad when I cook it only a week or so later.

Here is what I do.

First off I grow open pollinated yellow crooked neck squash and open pollinated zucchini.

I harvest the crooked neck squash when they are about 5 inches long and the zucchini at about 6- 8 inches long.

Then I wash them off really good and slice them and then put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them. All within a few hours of picking them from the vine.

After only a week of being frozen I steam them and they have an "off" taste like they are rotten or something.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks

Jim
What is your freezer temp? Is something stinking up the freezer?
Perhaps try vacuum packing, as this will reduce air, which can cause spoilage. Also, blanching will help by reducing spoilage enzymes.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Dehydrating zuchinni also works well. If you slice it evenly thin with a slicer it works better. Use parchment paper to prevent sticking.
I've marinated very thin slices with rice wine vinegar, salt and dill. Dried until crispy. The chips were addictive!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I vote for something stinky in the freezer.

I had lunch in a restaurant recently and couldn't drink the water because I thought the glass hadn't been washed properly and tasted of garlic. The waitress knew what was wrong and brought me a glass with no ice cubes. Apparently it is quite common for ice to absorb freezer smells so I'm guessing that your zucchini did too!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2014   #11
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tracydr and Labradors2

I tried steaming fresh picked zucchini and yellow crookneck...it was just picked from the vine a few hours before I steamed it. They both tasted fine.

I have other vegetables frozen in the same freezer that do not taste bad so I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong with the zucchini and squash.

I'm going to give blanching a try and see if that does the trick.

Jim
Old August 15, 2014   #12
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I think that those kinds of squash taste bad BEFORE they go into the freezer...
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2014   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You simply have to blanch vegetables before you freeze them.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2014   #14
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Ditto on the recommendations to blanch. Blanching breaks down most of the enzymes which cause deterioration. Furthermore, because zucchini has such a high water content, it is critical to remove the vegetables promptly after blanching, and cool them quickly. Ice water works best for cooling, but my well water is cold enough that I just use running water. Stir the cooling zucchini constantly for the first minute.

I can't overstress the importance of rapid cooling, and freezing immediately after processing. Softening will continue as long as the zucchini is still warm, which will give the squash a mushy texture when thawed.

Frozen zucchini doesn't require much cooking to use, since it is mostly cooked already. Sometimes I just pour hot water from the coffee maker over them after thawing, let sit for a couple minutes, and drain.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like to cut yellow squash lengthwise thin fliped in corn meal and fried in oil that has had catfish fried in it.

Thats what we call eatin high off the hawg in the sowth.
Too hot to eat anything boiled in the summertime down here.
septn maybe some stewed okra with some salt and pepper on it
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote