Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 3, 2014   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default WINTER KEEPER FOR 2?

My southern half loves butter fried yellow squash or casserole, though the flavor of late seems to be FAR less intensely that of squash than when younger. Anyway, come early fall and winter my northern half craves the richness of winter squash. That said, I cannot stand watery, stringy, or prone to rot squash or pumpkin. Too, I have gotten less willing to do anything other than put them in the microwave for cooking. We have a large model that does a lot of our work.

I have no need for huge varieties now, whether squash or pumpkins, but you would be surprised what fits easily into that microwave. I cut them in half, put butter and appropriate seasoning in, and then put the two sections back together. Allowing time after cooking and care when opening, this works fine.

Trouble is few really store well, have intense sweetness, or a desirable texture. I like mine more like a sweet potato that like a zucchini. Now if I could just find what that reliably translates into for a LONG keeper that is WORTH keeping.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #2
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Meat hands down. Stores extremely well, is sweet and delicious, maybe 8-10 lbs. An excellent variety. Sweet Dumpling might be worth a try too. Perfect individual size, and extremely sweet and tasty. Grows well vertically being they are small, can't comment on their storage, mine never sat much longer than a week.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Burpee Butterbush because it's dense and sweet, not large so it cooks faster, tastes great with only butter and salt, produces a lot from a few plants on shorter vines than most winter squash and keeps until spring. That and sweet potatoes keep me happy all winter until the spring veggies are coming in.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote