Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 26, 2007   #1
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8
Default Burpee's Black Pearl Hybrid ?

Burpee's Black Pearl Hybrid ?
On page 17 of their 2007 catalog it says it has a tomato flavor but when refig it tastes like a concord grape.
Has anyone grow this tomato? Is it good and does it taste like as grape when chilled? How was the hybrid made?
GrowSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Is it good and does it taste like as grape when chilled?
I did some searching and came up with one answer and it was on a product review page:

http://reviews.burpee.com/1031/4820/reviews.htm

Quote:
I have yet to find one that even remotely tastes like a concord grape - no matter how long it stayed in the refrigerator."
This is when you wait patiently for this year's crop performance for conventional wisdom as such.

Quote:
How was the hybrid made?
I am sure that Burpee was trying to find a secure and novel "Black Cherry" type of tomato. That in mind, Black Cherry may well be a parent! Previous work to develop a black cherry with a sweet grape moniker may easily used black classics such as Black Krim with any of the many sweet grape tomatoes. The resulting OP lines developed may have been in the cherry class size and test hybrids probably exhibited good combining ability. The rapid popularity of Black Cherry no doubt pushed the envelop a bit to release a proprietary hybrid to capitalize on such popularity.

One could conceivably cross Brown Cherry with Black Cherry. Years ago I bred Green Grape tomato crosses that resulting in lines very closely resembling Brown Cherry. So who knows?

Naming conventions

The name "Black Pearl" is also used for naming an ornamental pepper. Similar names often allude to other catchy items. Go to parkseed.com and look at photos of this pepper to see how that could conceivably apply.

BTW. Last year I compared numerous times the flavor of Black Cherry tomato fruits with a number of my own creations in that class. As good as Black Cherry was, I could taste advantages with a few of my own lines. Glad I made crosses last year to test some new hybrids this year.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2007   #3
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8

Thanks Tom
I thought the nameing was pretty close to he release of Disney's movie second Priates of the Caribbean movie as the ship is named the Black Pearl.

LOL sounds like I should grow some of your hybirds.

I have grown a few tomato hybirds and I like Big Boy

I was reading about the Black Pearl Pepper and some are saying that the seeds will saved will grow out true?
GrowSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote