Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2012   #196
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I use just a regular pump sprayer, maybe dilute the mixture a little more, say a gallon and a 1/4, I would hate got you to burn your plants. I have two different oils, found at lowes, one is a 95% canola oil, and the other of a fish oil mix. I use either one of them. Be really careful these WILL fry your plants if you don't agitate the mix while you are using the sprayer. I just shake the sprayer a lot while spraying, also don't spray out the last cup or cup and a half of spray sometimes it contains a lot of oil.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #197
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I'm just always afraid to spray as I've had worse luck from killing plants with spray than from bugs. I did have a plant that I think may have succumbed to virus but all the others have been fine.
I pulled one at my Mother's in Scottsdale again yesterday. All the rest of her replacements look good.
So, Dsrtlzbn, you don't get leaf burn with your mixture? And, your sprayer doesn't get all gummed up?
Tracy,
The single biggest trick to not burning your plants( because I have done this too and had to find out about it) is to spray only early am well before the sun is intense, or better yet, in the very late afternoon, same reason. No intense sun equals no burn.The dried residual residue on the leaves won't burn it later, I promise.
Also, I found out after gumming up my sprayer, that if you empty all unused spray and run some clear water through the nozzle and cannister after, then it wont gum up. I always mix a tablespoon of soap in (after the sprayer is filed to avoid the suds),and I haven't had a problem yet with neem gumming up the sprayer.
Just needs a little prevention Doc
Hope this was helpful.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #198
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Old May 15, 2012   #199
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Again sideways, because apparently my phone only knows how to post sideways pictures.
Old May 15, 2012   #200
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Old May 16, 2012   #201
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Harvested my first Rosella Purple tonight!

Old May 16, 2012   #202
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very nice - looking forward to your taste impressions!
Old May 16, 2012   #203
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

beautiful tomato... I planted four of them this year and 3 have blooms and just now setting... my night temps are just now staying in the low 60's and the tomatoes are just beginning to grow noticeable a little everyday. One of the plants is only about 3 inches tall and not seeming to grow, so I will probably pull it and replace with something else. So far my dwarfs are looking pretty good except this one and a wild fred that started shriviling up, so I pulled it, but the other wild fred looks good so far.
Old May 17, 2012   #204
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Dsrtlzbn!
I'm hating this heat! Lots of cherry tomatoes set. A brads black heart and a Goose Creek. Some pastes (striped Romans and San Marzanos but some blossom rot, ugh!)
My other big toms aren't doing much.
Blush is a star. Tons of tomatoes on that plant and no BER!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #205
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
Tuk50, thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was seeking. I may try a couple lettered plants next year just to compare to others with whatever issue may strike.

desertlzbn, I don't have that book. I have Extreme Gardening by Dave Owens. IMO, it's not worth the purchase price. It's really basic and lacking. Better info can be found online and researching yourself, though I suppose that's the case with many books.

I e-mailed the U of A extension folks last year asking whether aminopyralid and similar long-lasting herbicides have been reported in manures here in Arizona. In case they didn't know what I was talking about, I provided some background info and links. They didn't reply.
Flyingbrass, thanks for getting to the bottom of the problem. I know sometimes it is easier just to pull plants and wait for next season. Keep an eye on your own plants that make it and produce and let us know if there is any of your varieties that did better. I am coming late to the thread but when I read your first post about 3" of manure and how you were thinking it might be a problem, well too many have done that without problems - glad you found the virus.

If you are like me, even without a virus, some "go to" varieties are just going to do well and others become little stinkers. The next year the bad ones bounce back.

Here is hoping that the few you keep use that 3" of manure and triple their production.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #206
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomato!
I tried that organocide last year. It put a stinky, sticky residue on my tomatoes that wouldn't wash off. I sprayed one time with a more dilute solution than recommended and never could get the stuff off. It also burned the plants terribly!
I tried it a few years ago on peppers and had similar results, horrible leaf burn.
I put it on according to directions that year, did it at night and had awful leaf burn.
I'm starting to have a bit of spider mites. Not much but enough to be concerned. Last night I sprayed with a mix of Adams flea/tick shampoo and a teaspoon of vegetable oil in a quart sprayer. I'm going to rinse everything this morning before it gets too hot.
I think I'll order some neem oil, mix with a bit of detergent. Should I add molasses or anything else? I'll definitely add the seaweed emulsion.
Or, is there anything else I can do for spider mites? I'm going to blast them with water everyday. Looks like this could be a bad year for them. Terribly hot and low humidity so early.
The white flies seem to have left for now. I did have a wonderful crop of ladybugs that helped.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #207
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

I haven't been following the thread for a while. This is probably going to be my worst tomato season in AZ to date. No diseases, and the plants look terrific, but there is precious little fruitset. A few Sun Golds, a few scrawny Moravsky Divs, zilch on the Lucky Cross plants--a huge disappointment--the blossoms bloom beautifully and then close up and drop off. Even the few NARs and Goose Creeks that have set are little drawn up things--they look like large cherries. The dry, hot winds have been much worse this year, and I can't help but think that might be part of the reason. That and the early 100+ degree heat. I'm getting tired of trying to grow good tomatoes here.
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #208
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

As for your fruit not setting I really recommend using the electric toothbrush, that has been a great help in getting fruit set for me. if you search the site there are a lot of threads about it and also there are couple videos. I would just say to you don't give up I know it's hard and frustrating, but with a little perseverance you will be able to get them to grow and produce. I know I am fighting some bugs right now but hopefully up with a little luck I will be able to get a pretty good crop this year.
I also am going to try to start plants in July to plan out in August or September, have you tried planting tomatoes in the winter yet?
Old May 19, 2012   #209
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Beautiful tomato!
I tried that organocide last year. It put a stinky, sticky residue on my tomatoes that wouldn't wash off. I sprayed one time with a more dilute solution than recommended and never could get the stuff off. It also burned the plants terribly!
I tried it a few years ago on peppers and had similar results, horrible leaf burn.
I put it on according to directions that year, did it at night and had awful leaf burn.
I'm starting to have a bit of spider mites. Not much but enough to be concerned. Last night I sprayed with a mix of Adams flea/tick shampoo and a teaspoon of vegetable oil in a quart sprayer. I'm going to rinse everything this morning before it gets too hot.
I think I'll order some neem oil, mix with a bit of detergent. Should I add molasses or anything else? I'll definitely add the seaweed emulsion.
Or, is there anything else I can do for spider mites? I'm going to blast them with water everyday. Looks like this could be a bad year for them. Terribly hot and low humidity so early.
The white flies seem to have left for now. I did have a wonderful crop of ladybugs that helped.
I have the organicide and when I use it I put the dish soap in it to break up the fat particles. I also used less because I am using the fish emulsion too.

I too have seen an increase in ladybugs and green lace wing bugs. It's not that hot today it's only 97 right now and it's been cooling off in the evening pretty good.
Old May 19, 2012   #210
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

I've heard of the toothbrush trick. Maybe I'll try that with the Lucky Crosses, which I REALLY wanted to do well. (I tasted my first Lucky Cross at the Hollywood Farmers Market last summer and just about died--best tasting tomato, EVER, for me.)

I have had even worse luck planting out in August. Because of where I live in suburbia I have to use containers (I use EarthTainers and Earth Boxes) and there is just no simple way to keep the soil temps cool enough. The poor little plants just sit there. They don't die. They don't grow. They just sit there, hot, and drink water. Finally in October, growth begins but alas, it's too late. Light is diminishing and the chilly air (usually) sets in before any serious fruitsetting can begin.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. I really appreciate it. Honestly, I could take the amount of money I spend on this hobby and get more heirloom tomatoes more often at Whole Foods. Sheesh! So frustrating. Or, I could move back to Southern California. Anyone have a winning lottery ticket to give away?
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote