Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2020   #16
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, we had another 3 inches of rain today. I'm blessed that our home and work haven't been impacted. We may end up loosing some if not all of our crops but we are still blessed. I have about 150 backup plants in the greenhouse. They aren't the varieties I was super excited to be growing this season but they'll do. The beans and other item's can be replanted when it finally dries out. I'll lose the seed for some varieties of my heirloom tomatoes and beans since I broke my own rule about not planting every seed of any particular variety. But most of them I can replace and we'll move on. Thinking of all of you who are battling the weather this season.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2020   #17
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

We are having our third good day of sun after the most miserable spring that I remember. Driving 6ft stakes very s-l-o-w-l-y . Def gonna have a quivery right arm for a while. 20 down and 80 to go not counting small ones for peppers, egg plants etc. I have 90 tomato plants, 4 egg plants, 7 bell peppers, yellow squash, zuchinni and maybe 50 young corn plants and two sweet b peppers. Stuff looks good, ok and some are just there. But good considering what they endured after plant out. Neighbors Goliath(7 rows of 29 I think) are a testament to what little plants will live through. The day we had 50 with lots of rain and 28 and ice at night he didnt even spray them off and most are still growing. Unbelievable. Happy gardening I guess?
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I saw a tiny army worm today while pruning the tomatoes. Last year they ruined all my tomatoes so this year it’s war!
As I was spraying the garden with neem oil and orchard spray it started raining. I think tomorrow or Weds we are supposed to get another storm.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Six inches in three days. Farm fields along the Missouri River flooding again this year. Corps of Engineers again failing to hold up their part of the bargain to stop the unnecessary flooding. I think the drought is over.
Old May 27, 2020   #20
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

I'm about 150 miles away from yinz, in central VA. I had to water my gardens yesterday.

About 1.2 inches of precip for all of June in the Charlottesville area.
Old May 27, 2020   #21
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Wow, what a difference a couple hundred miles makes. We are in for another 1-3 inches tonight. Bertha is scooting up from the south and we're getting drenched again.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2020   #22
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

We had another downpour today maybe 1-2 inches in an hour.
Old May 28, 2020   #23
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I hope the rains let up for you. I feel your pain. The last couple of years my garden has been flooded out. Back breaking work to plant and heart breaking watching it all drown.
Old May 29, 2020   #24
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

And another downpour!