Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 8, 2010   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Cutting back bean plants

After reading a bit about this I am thinking about trying it in one of my raised beds that I am growing beans in.
Flowering has just about come to a halt.
Just wondering if any here have tried it and also wanted to know how much to cut off.
Old May 9, 2010   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've cut back bush beans before with some success. I wait til the main crop has been picked and they are making only a few beans then cut them back so that they are only about 8 inches or so tall and then wait for them to make a second though much smaller crop from the new growth. Make sure to water well for a few days after cutting to reduced the stress and to give them a little balanced fertilizer with some nitrogen because you are trying to grow a lot of foliage fast. I will not be doing it this year because I was late getting my beans planted and once the real hot weather arrives this technique isn't very successful.
The benefit of doing this is that the crop from the new growth after cutting back seems to have that young tender quality more like the early picked ones while the ones that grow off on the older vines seem less crisp. I have found that some of the ones cut back never seem to recover and regrow and the beans are usually smaller and less plentiful. If I had the room the best alternative is to plant a second crop about 3 to 4 weeks after the first so you have a steady supply but alas I don't have the room so that is why I have tried this several times.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I may just replant and see how it goes, but thanks for your reply
Old May 9, 2010   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Duane, never tried cutting back beans, but I'm finding that staggering the sowing a bit helps me extend the harvest.

I usually devote one raised bed to beans, and have been sowing half of the bed 10-14 days after the first half.

First sowing is done about a week before I normally would, and the second one about a week after - in other words, I split the difference on a conservative date for my area. I lay a moving blanket or two over that first half if I get a cold night that could kill or damage them.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote