Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 11, 2018   #91
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Great looking harvest! How does the Sweet Pickle taste? How's the heat on it?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #92
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Pickle is sweet with no heat when let to ripen red. Thick walls and crunchy. I'm canning some as we speak, with the Ball hot pepper recipe. Going to store to get more jars.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #93
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Default Borg 9

IMG_2436.jpg
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #94
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Grew these for the 1st time this year... ghost pepper is red... the other is a fatalli. I'm gonna try Worth's fermenting process and make some hot sauce from each. Wish me luck!20180811_195250.jpg

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #95
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I like to make some Korean dishes so I have a use for gochugaru, the Korean red chili flakes. This year I decided to try to make my own and ordered seed for 'Korean Dark Green Pepper', a variety supposedly used in Korea for this purpose.

It's definitely a different pepper plant, about 22" tall and 28" wide with slender 1" x 2" leaves. Kind of like an umbrella. The peppers hang vertically under the umbrella.

I've been picking them red and sun drying them, the traditional method for gochugaru.

Two nights ago the first batch got deseeded and whizzed up into small flakes. It looks just like the stuff I have from the Korean grocery but I haven't used it yet so we'll see.

I'm also growing 'Maule's Red Hot', an old cayenne-type that makes a nice hot sauce (a Justin Wilson recipe). It's only a medium hot pepper so you chili heads probably wouldn't be interested.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #96
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

A true chili head appreciates all peppers. Heat is just one aspect of pepper culture, although a significant aspect. I think your Korean peppers look wonderful. I am wondering about the name "Dark Green", though.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #97
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I grow the Maule's Red Hot, also. It's a good, solid cayenne. I'm gonna try fermented hot sauce from them this year...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #98
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
A true chili head appreciates all peppers. Heat is just one aspect of pepper culture, although a significant aspect. I think your Korean peppers look wonderful. I am wondering about the name "Dark Green", though.
Me too! But the unripe ones are a dark green so maybe that's why. The seed came from Baker Creek. There was one variety from Kitizawa that actually came from the Korean district most famous for making gochugaru but by the time I'd order it and pay shipping for one pack of seeds from California, I'd be shelling out almost $12... not!
Old August 15, 2018   #99
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Just made a batch of Japanese 7 spice...
Himo Tagarashi peppers
De hydrated orange/orange peel
White/Black peppercorns
Fresh Garlic Salt
Black and white toasted sesame seed
Garlic powder
Ginger powder
Sesame seed

It's good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 15, 2018   #100
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Just made a batch of Japanese 7 spice...
Himo Tagarashi peppers
De hydrated orange/orange peel
White/Black peppercorns
Fresh Garlic Salt
Black and white toasted sesame seed
Garlic powder
Ginger powder
Sesame seed

It's good!

Not familiar with those peppers. Are they mild/medium/hot? (looking for a substitute, if possible).And what did you use this mix on? Sounds intriguing. Did you make your own "fresh garlic salt"? I have some garlic in the dehydrator right now that will be whizzed into powder later.
Old August 15, 2018   #101
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures of all the various peppers. I grow Red Scotch Bonnets all year here in south Florida for my son and daughter in law...to hot for my taste. Can you tell me what fertilizers you put in the hole when you transplant your pepper seedlings? I've heard pros and cons against Epsom Salt. Please advise. Thank you.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2018   #102
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Not familiar with those peppers. Are they mild/medium/hot? (looking for a substitute, if possible).And what did you use this mix on? Sounds intriguing. Did you make your own "fresh garlic salt"? I have some garlic in the dehydrator right now that will be whizzed into powder later.
Himo Togarashi look like cayenne only skinnier and longer (my first year growing it).
I picked one off the plant and took a bite and thought nice flavor, no heat... But then I dried some and would say they are mild to medium. I broke up some to put in food processor and made the mistake of rubbing my eye... Doh! The plants are attractive and prolific.
Yes I make my own "fresh garlic salt", I run a whole head of garlic thru a food processor then add 1 cup of course sea salt to processor, mix it all up then put it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then put in oven on lowest setting (mine goes to 170 degrees) bake till dry. It comes out like a sheet of peanut brittle. It takes on the color of the garlic, purple, pink etc. You will never buy garlic salt again after you have tasted this.
Apparently the Japanese use 7 spice on a lot of things, noodles, chicken even popcorn.
It's just now becoming popular here, McCormick spice is starting to sell it
Old August 17, 2018   #103
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Dried Himo Togarashi
May have spelled it wrong in other posts...

Old August 17, 2018   #104
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Himo Togarashi look like cayenne only skinnier and longer (my first year growing it).

I picked one off the plant and took a bite and thought nice flavor, no heat... But then I dried some and would say they are mild to medium. I broke up some to put in food processor and made the mistake of rubbing my eye... Doh! The plants are attractive and prolific.

Yes I make my own "fresh garlic salt", I run a whole head of garlic thru a food processor then add 1 cup of course sea salt to processor, mix it all up then put it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Then put in oven on lowest setting (mine goes to 170 degrees) bake till dry. It comes out like a sheet of peanut brittle. It takes on the color of the garlic, purple, pink etc. You will never buy garlic salt again after you have tasted this.

Apparently the Japanese use 7 spice on a lot of things, noodles, chicken even popcorn.

It's just now becoming popular here, McCormick spice is starting to sell it

A lot of recipes call for dried seaweed, but there is not much of it around here.

Old August 18, 2018   #105
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Peach habanero ( my new favorite)