Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2018   #16
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

I am growing orange and pink. Very impressed with the pink. Large beefsteak and good flavor. Orange was just OK for me.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #17
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing the Pink this year-3 plants. They make a large plant and have loaded up nicely! Should pick my 1st ripe one in a couple of days....

20180620_171846.jpg

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the days to maturity put me off for the pink. I did grow chefs choice orange a few years ago. it was a nice sized tomato ... 10oz?... not golfball sized.
Old July 3, 2018   #19
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I picked my 1st Chef's Choice Pink today. It will be ready to eat in a couple of days. It's a beaut! Not really sure about how DTM is calculated, but these plants were put in the ground on April 29th...
20180703_193127.jpg

Old July 6, 2018   #20
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I'm wondering why my Chef's Choice Orange F1 tomatoes are only the size of a golf ball. Very, very prolific. Sweet and fruity. Unusual orange yellow color. Will grow every year.

Every seed catalog has them at 8 oz to one lb. I don't remember if the seed that I started was from the MMMM swap group buy or sourced elsewhere.

I am way ahead of the usual time for ripening fruit due to the relentless early summer high temperatures. Could this be a factor in the fruit size or is my seed unusual for this variety?

I make a mistake!
I brought my map into the garden. I was looking at Esternia, and the first truss had extra large pale orange globe cherries.

Chef's Choice is the next plant in the row. Current fruit size is slightly smaller than a tennis ball. It's too soon to determine the final size. I do not find it to be early compared to others in the row. I have many ripe and ready full sized (red) tomatoes (hearts, slicers, etc coming in a month early) but no blush on any C.C.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2018   #21
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Tennis ball sized sounds right. I like chefs choice orange.
Strong plant, productive, disease resistant, very good tasting fruit (when all cylinders are firing).

Sweet Ozark Orange is an outstanding understudy, just in case.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #22
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I'm sort of surprised at the size of some of my CC pinks...do they generally grow this large? Not that I'm complaining...

20180707_123245.jpg

Old July 8, 2018   #23
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

A couple more pics. I really like this tomato...good flavor. I will grow it for many years!

20180708_163259.jpg

20180708_180443.jpg

Old July 9, 2018   #24
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
A couple more pics. I really like this tomato...good flavor. I will grow it for many years!

That's Awesome! I'll have to try it one season... I know my Orange grew that big after the plant got to a decent size, it seems like once it gets going it just starts cranking out the large ones!

I was aware of Orange, Pink and Green but it looks like there's 5 of them now with Red and Yellow! Now im curious how the red stacks up to Big Beef. Oh I see at least one site is calling the Red Determinate...

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; July 9, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #25
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I've really enjoyed my Chef's Choice Pink. Kinda new at all this stuff, but can I save seeds from these plants? The seeds I bought (Territorial Seed, methinks...) were listed as "hybrid"....

Old July 14, 2018   #26
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

They are hybrids and so by definition shouldn't breed true if you grow saved seeds. But if you have the time/space/patience and a large commitment, you can grow it out and try to find what should basically be the same old Chef's choice pink in your growouts somewhere.

Depending on the complexity/diversity of it's lineage, you might be able to grow saved seed from this season and get something really close to the Chef's choice pink you grew this year!

It may be worth the effort to save a few seeds and try 1 or 2 plants next season and still grow your commercial F1 seeds for comparison and see how different they are. My results from growing Chef's choice orange was that there wasn't much of a noticeable difference but ymmv...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #27
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing the Chef's Choice Pink again this year, along with the new Chef's Choice Black.

Old July 14, 2020   #28
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I am growing the Chef's Choice hybrids black, orange, green, and pink.

The black was seeded in feb and had fruits starting earlier than any of my other plants. The taste was very good, but the texture has a small window for best, try to pick with slight green shoulders and squeeze test. Anyway, really a great tomato, some cracking during the heat.

I also planted Parks Purple Boy hybrid for comparison of another dark hybrid and it's very good, somewhat smaller, no cracking and texture had longer window. Both very productive, but the chef's has been so far somewhat more.

The orange, green, and pink was not seeded till April. They all have tons of good sized tomatoes, still green, on them and size wise plants caught up to the black. (5 feet) All very healthy plants. I will report on taste and texture when they are ready.

I am considering trying the Purple and Yellow now. How can all of these have won AAS awards(not that I don't think they don't deserve it) but that's alot of tomatoes coming out of one company in a short period of time and they win AAS awards....

Anyway, thanks for all of you commenting, please add more.
Gary
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2020   #29
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

Orange has been a monster plant for me with heavy production of really nice fruit.

I grew Black last year and it did well and is a little earlier (for me) than orange,

This year I am growing Chef's Bicolor and Chef's Striped. Neither are ready to eat yet, but will be soon. In my little poly greenhouse, the Bi-Color is a larger more vigorous plant with larger fruit. (no problem with the vigor of the Striped, it is a fine plant. The Bicolor is just a larger and thicker plant.

I will report back when there is something to report. So far, healthy plants with large fruit sets.

I wanted to try another yellow/red blush tomato, as well, Buffalosun, but I could not find any seed any where. Buffalosun was given a 70 day maturity, CC Bicolor a 75. CC Striped is 80 (which almost kept it out of the garden. I will see how they perform for me)

The Chef's Choice Bicolor and the BuffalosSun were all All American Award winners in 2020. https://all-americaselections.org/pr...tables/tomato/
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2020   #30
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

Oh, also grew CC Red last year. It tasted fine, but it was later than Big Beef, smaller than Big Beef, and not as productive as Big Beef. If it were earlier than Big Beef, or Damsel, or any number of fine reds, I would try it again. But, lateness is a deal breaker.

Similar deal with CC Pink. A great tomato, I hear, but when I grew it, I didn't get to eat one until the end of August. And it was long wait for 2 and 3 to show up. About the time it was getting ready to finally produce, it was mid-September and the long, warm, sunny days of summer were gone, as was the taste of its tomatoes. By mid-September, the days are too short and the nights too cool to produce a decent tomato.

Last edited by PaulTandberg; July 14, 2020 at 05:53 PM.
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote