Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 5, 2014   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default 2014 American Phytopathological Society meeting

I'll be attending this meeting in MN starting Saturday. Same offer as previously made!

You can search the abstracts and let me know if any posters or sessions are of interest. This conference is more applied than the previous one I attended.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #2
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Not only do I not know what it is, but I can't even pronounce it!

I googled it.

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #3
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Plenary Session I is available to watch free.

Plenary Session 1: "Plant Health Connections—Soil Health, Plant Health, Food Safety, Human Health"

Presenters:
Dr. Harold van Es, Cornell University
Dr. Jan E. Leach, Colorado State University
Dr. Jennifer Ann Thomson, University of Cape Town, South Africa

The topics are soil health, phytobiome and biotechnology in Africa. Followed up by a short Q&A.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old August 11, 2014   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

76-0 SDS/Soybean/Glyphosate would be very interesting if you can.Thanx in advance.Kurt
Old August 11, 2014   #5
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

No guarantees since that overlaps with monocot disease resistance. Just out of curiosity, why are you interested in SDS? Do you grow soybeans?

Here is the abstract with my emphasis:

Sudden death syndrome (SDS), caused by Fusarium virguliforme, is an important yield limiting disease of soybean. Glyphosate has been used for many years to control weeds in glyphosate-tolerant soybean. The effect of glyphosate application on SDS is not clearly understood. The objective of this study was to examine how glyphosate use affected SDS severity under field conditions. Fifteen field experiments were conducted in IA, IL, IN, MI, WI, and Ontario, CAN during 2011, 2012, and 2013. Six treatment combinations of non-glyphosate herbicides and glyphosate including pre- and post-emergence, single and multiple applications were compared. Disease severity was significantly different (P<0.05) across the location-years. Mean foliar disease index (FDX) ranged from 0 to 65% across field trials. Highest disease was noted in irrigated plots. There were no statistically significant effects of herbicide treatments or interactions (P>0.05) on disease severity. The mean FDX among the treatments ranged from 10 to 14%. These results indicate that the environment, particularly soil moisture, played a significant role on SDS development. Glyphosate-treated plots did not have more SDS than plots with other herbicides. Glyphosate-treated plots tended to yield more than plots treated with other herbicides. This fifteen location-year study demonstrated that glyphosate application does not increase SDS severity or adversely affect soybean yield under field conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
76-0 SDS/Soybean/Glyphosate would be very interesting if you can.Thanx in advance.Kurt

Old August 11, 2014   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Not me but my neighbor(Vietnamese family)has a garden full of it and he is having moisture related problems.So with that being said we will leave it at that since I do not want to open any discussions about why I replied to your offer of information.If needed since I have the link I can follow up later.So if you can since your reply is the same thing that is on the link so I can explain to my neighbor(English is not that good).

I asked him where he got his seeds from and he does not know the original source,meaning in the study are those GMO soybean seeds with glyphosate?

Was/is there a transcript or record availiable of the study(condensed)?
This would matter if the study compared GMO/non GMO seeds.

He has been spraying weeds around his yard with Roundup.
Any additional info would be helpful.

Last edited by kurt; August 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2014   #7
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Your neighbor is not likely growing glyphosate tolerant beans though. They are not available for purchase w/o signing a contract with the seed company that is selling them. GM soy and corn are not available to the homeowner. Typical Edamame varieties are different from commercially grown soy, too. No GM versions of those. Perhaps if he is spraying too close and not carefully then he is causing a different kind of sudden death syndrome?!

The session hasn't happened yet so all I know is what is in the abstract. There is no transcript available for the sessions. The study must have used GM soy for at least part of it since they sprayed post emergence. Note that this is direct application to the plants, not just spraying nearby.

Sudden Death Syndrome is caused by a microorganism. This study showed no link between the disease occurrence and glyphosate across multiple environments and years. If your neighbor is having a soybean problem, I would suspect other cultural practices and not the Roundup.

Let me know if I misunderstood what you are looking for. I will look to see if these results have been published.

Edit: I do not see anything published by this author on this subject listed in Pubmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Not me but my neighbor(Vietnamese family)has a garden full of it and he is having moisture related problems.So with that being said we will leave it at that since I do not want to open any discussions about why I replied to your offer of information.If needed since I have the link I can follow up later.So if you can since your reply is the same thing that is on the link so I can explain to my neighbor(English is not that good).

I asked him where he got his seeds from and he does not know the original source,meaning in the study are those GMO soybean seeds with glyphosate?

Was/is there a transcript or record availiable of the study(condensed)?
This would matter if the study compared GMO/non GMO seeds.

He has been spraying weeds around his yard with Roundup.
Any additional info would be helpful.

Last edited by ChrisK; August 12, 2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old August 12, 2014   #8
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

For the grafters among us:

I saw two presentations on grafting for bacterial wilt (BW) resistance yesterday. One study looked at multiple RS plus FL47 as scion. They found significant genetic x environment (GxE) interactions with many of the RS (a good reason to test in our own locations).

Overall, in her trials CRA66, BHN1054, DP106, Cheong gang, and HI7997 seemed to perform the best over the two years. Note that CRA66 is an open pollinated variety but is not widely available.

Here is the abstract:

Managing Bacterial wilt of Tomatoes in North Carolina through Grafting with Disease Resistant Rootstocks.
E. J. SILVERMAN (1), J. Driver (1), J. Kressin (1), F. Louws (1), D. Panthee (1)
(1) North Carolina State Univ, Raleigh, NC, U.S.A.

Bacterial wilt, caused by Ralstonia solanacearum, Rs, is endemic to many temperate regions around the world causing enormous economic loss in crops like potato, tobacco and tomato. Management of BW, is difficult and is centered on extended crop rotation, cultural practices, host resistance and grafting. The goal of this project was to examine the efficacy of grafting with BW resistant tomato rootstocks in NC on-farm trials and develop better recommendations for growers to reduce the impact of BW. Ten BW rootstocks grafted to the common scion ‘FL47’ were evaluated over two growing seasons in a high BW pressure field in western NC. Rootstock selection impacted disease incidence. In 2012, rootstock varieties ‘Cheong gang’, BHN1054, DP106, and CRA66 exhibited the least number of diseased plants with 25, 33, 35, and 43% respectively. Non-grafted and self-grafted ‘FL47’ controls reached 100% plant death by 75 days after planting (DAP). Similar results were observed in 2013 with rootstocks CRA66, DP106, HI7997 and ‘Cheong gang’ possessing the lowest BW disease incidence with 4, 8, 9, and 10% wilt, respectively. Non-grafted and self-grafted controls reached 70 and 63% disease by 77 DAP. Marketable yields were dramatically impacted with high yields from plots with superior resistance compared to the susceptible controls. Based on regional experiments, several large commercial farms have adapted grafting as an IPM tool to manage BW.

I'll summarize presentation #2 tomorrow.

Old August 12, 2014   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Thank You,I will let him know that his overspray most likely was not the culprit.We have been drenched with rains and the combination of raised beds and poor drainage has created a soggy enviornment in his yard.