Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 22, 2015   #1
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default A neat article from the Smithsonian on wild currant toms

I enjoyed reading this and thought others might too. Not sure if this is the right place to post it. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel...ant-180955911/
I hope you enjoy it! Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
I enjoyed reading this and thought others might too. Not sure if this is the right place to post it. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel...ant-180955911/
I hope you enjoy it! Pete
Pete, you can leave it in this Forum, but those who are doing breeding with pimps and other wild species already know about them and are using them in their breeding projects.

There is also some wrong info in that article, viz, no one knows for sure how pimps got from S America to North America , but it sure wasn't by ship since it's well known that Spanish missionaries from Mexico were the ones who initially spread them to NA when they established themselves from CA along the gulf caost all the way to to FL.

And initial seeds from S America were spread to Spain and other Spanish held territories at the time by the Spanish Conquistador and from there, well let me put up a link about this which I did just a couple of weeks ago here, which I think is pretty darn good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

And they misspelled Chatelet as Chetelet, Dr. Roger, whom I knew pretty well at the TGRC Center in CA/ And said nada about Dr. Rick, who was the first to bring back to the US many of the original species to what became the Rick Center, as in TGRC, who are still the worlds experts on the wild species and so much more as to gene desinations, etc. it is not a place to get seeds except for those who fill out an application and document why they want this or that in a breeding program. Some are approved, some are not.

I used to sub to the Smithsonian magazine and quite honestly, I think some editor there could have done better with this article.

Carolyn