Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2009   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Don’t give a hoot!!!!!

That’s right I don’t give a hoot.
I get home and it is 100 degrees and more all of the time no rain in my area for months on end and I just don’t care.
It’s all I can do to keep my yard plants alive and most of them are drought tolerant.
The spring was a bust and last year was the same no rain and hot weather.
I have a few tomatoes and plenty of small ones but that’s it.
I think I am going to join a cactus forum.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #2
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Worth, it's okay. We're here to listen. Yeah, no use beating your head against the wall. You know where you live and how hard it is to grow 'maters and veggies in the summer, and that is if, and a big IF you get some rain. Being away for a month and longer has to be frustrating too. Don't worry, you have the fall garden and you can show off all your stuff while we northerners are getting ready for another long winter and cleaning out the gardens.

Turn up the a/c, make yourself a sandwich, jump in the recliner and put on a good movie. Take a deep breath. You'll be ok.

Duane
Old June 22, 2009   #3
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Lol. . . I was considering starting a thread called "I just can't take it anymore!"

We have our heat on here. . . have had close to no sun all month with lots of highs in the 50's. . . and have had CONSTANT 30mph hour winds over the last 24+ hours with wind gusts up to VERY frequent 50mph.

Some of my seedlings actually look smaller than when I planted them.

A chair flew past my window.

Everyone's getting colds. Including me.

My poor dogs come inside sopping wet and my basset hound looks like she's going to fly away.

This is all following the winter from hell.

I was going to say, that's it- I'm heading West! But it sounds sucky over there too.

Maybe I should take up hydroponics.

ps- I also meant to say, "I feel your pai." :0)

Last edited by hasshoes; June 22, 2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: to say I feel Worth's pain. (lol) ;0)
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Well that means one of two things. Either summer has begun in Texas or a dog urinated on Worth's Trump. Ami
Old June 22, 2009   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That’s right I don’t give a hoot.
I get home and it is 100 degrees and more all of the time no rain in my area for months on end and I just don’t care.
It’s all I can do to keep my yard plants alive and most of them are drought tolerant.
The spring was a bust and last year was the same no rain and hot weather.
I have a few tomatoes and plenty of small ones but that’s it.
I think I am going to join a cactus forum.

Worth
This year was a bad year for tomatoes. 90's in early May. We're not even out of June and it's already 100's.

But seriously it's time to start looking at irrigation.

You are never going to get a year in Central Texas where you get a nice inch of water every 5 days.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
This year was a bad year for tomatoes. 90's in early May. We're not even out of June and it's already 100's.

But seriously it's time to start looking at irrigation.

You are never going to get a year in Central Texas where you get a nice inch of water every 5 days.
You should in the spring and winter or more and we havent had it in two years now.
No rain in the Bastrop area at all, the clouds get to my house and split.
We have had some big trees die in the area and there will be more this year.
I do have soaker hoses out and my wife waters all of the time.
Old June 22, 2009   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how big your garden is or whether this would be practical or not...I've got two beds that are under sun shade cloth and they are decidely happier than in years past when I didn't have it. I believe mine is a 40% block and white in color and it lowers the temps under it remarkably. Insects, not disease have been the primary fight too as they can't resist the lush green leaves. That said, with 100 degrees plus predicted for the forseeable future, it will be a race to ripen everything before disease and insects destroy the spring offerings. Good luck and hang in Worth.

P.S. I have had a huge number of Tom horn worms this year and I'm sick to death of squishing their green guts out!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It is hot down here too, we are averaging as much or much kilowatt usage than we did at any period last year. I have kept up with watering my front lawn but planned to just let the back deal with whatever mother nature gave it. I gave in yesterday and began watering the back. Used almost 2000 gallons of water yesterday!! The front lawn and the okra plants look good, everything else is suffering. We are now around 10 inches below normal average year to date rainfall wise
Old June 22, 2009   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Its wet and dreary out here Worth - seriously its rained almost every day for a month straight (not to mention the cold spring we had).

Normally I have little green tomatoes by now - but this season?
Only a few open blossoms. It is challenging.

I keep looking at the bright side:
The cool summer is helpful for my preggo Mrs !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #10
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Hang tight Tom - I'm just down the road from you and counted four little tomatoes this morning! Of course that's on 34 plants, but hey, it's a start!

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #11
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

We've had a strange June here. It has rained 16 days so far in June and the record is 17 days sent in 1966. It has been cool too. We have some weird mushroom things growing in our lawn for the first time. It is supposed to get up to 95 by Friday though, so the nice cool weather is ending...and I still have until the 6th of August before I have my baby girl.
My tomatoes seem to be doing Okay---I'll have to watch out for fungal disease though---something I normally don't need to worry about. The worst thing about all of the rain is how much the weeds thrive!

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #12
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

wish i could send you some of our rain, worth.
the farmers here have been joking about growing rice or fish on account of all the rain. there is still standing water in some of the fields after the last rain fall, even fields that have been tiled. temps have been erratic. my plants were in rough shape when planted, but they are all still alive, and putting out new growth. they should take off once the weather here decides to get normal, whatever that is.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #13
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I knew what this would be about as soon as I saw the thread title.

Yeah, this weather is a pain. I'm getting really tired of it! I saw that they finally reinstated the burn ban - surprised that wasn't done at least a couple weeks ago.

My plants are starting to go downhill, and fast. Just too much transpiration for the roots to keep up with, as well as general heat stress. Quite a few still look pretty good, considering. Others will probably need to be pulled soon, have already managed to get a few out.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Suze it’s horrible I’m afraid to go outside because I fear a large mop will come out of the sky and slather me with BBQ sauce.

Burn ban I wouldnt burn all year because it was so dry.
I cant see how folks need to be told NOT to burn.

Worth
Old June 23, 2009   #15
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Worth, the problem is the entire east coast is getting all the rain and cool temps. As someone above said and I agree, a few of my tomato plants are just as small as when I put them out a month ago. I noticed a sun gold out there yesterday, no taller than 1 foot with 2 green tomatoes on it,and I have no idea how that plant is surviving. If we don't get some warmth and sunshine here soon, I fear the whole season is going down the drain. The only veggies doing well here are lettuce and snap peas. Where is summer?

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote