Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 28, 2013   #1
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

Default 22 Foot SunGold

http://gardenproject.wordpress.com/2...t-and-growing/

Is this normal? How is it possible? Only in greenhouses? I must be really bad at gardening.

Last year my sun sugar grew to 6 feet tall but I probably got less than 100 tomatos off it, of course it was in a 14" pot.

I have a sungold seedling ready to go. I would be happy with my sungold reaching half that size, is it possible in a container? Do you think a 25 Gallon smart pot would work or do I need 65 gallons? My goal would be to get 500 tomatoes off 1 plant this year.

Anyone have experience with high yields in containers? I have 18 gallon earthtainers and 15 gallon smart pots this year, will they get me close to my goal?

I wish I didn't have a concrete backyard.

Thanks,

- Virtex
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I grew a 9 foot sungold last year in a 30 inch pot on my deck(thats in a 3.5 month season near Edmonton, Canada). you should be able to do better in your area with your longer season. if you want a big plant though, you need a big pot. I would say your 25 gallons should be ok, good compost ammended high quality planting mix, weekly fertilzer, strong support and consistent watering. you can grow a great one I bet. sungold is known for being a big and vigorous plant. not typically 22 feet by any means but big for sure. enjoy! send a pic of your giant sungold when you have one
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

That's a big plant!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #4
Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I grew a 9 foot sungold last year in a 30 inch pot on my deck(thats in a 3.5 month season near Edmonton, Canada). you should be able to do better in your area with your longer season. if you want a big plant though, you need a big pot. I would say your 25 gallons should be ok, good compost ammended high quality planting mix, weekly fertilzer, strong support and consistent watering. you can grow a great one I bet. sungold is known for being a big and vigorous plant. not typically 22 feet by any means but big for sure. enjoy! send a pic of your giant sungold when you have one
KO

I mirrored your result down near Calgary in a small greenhouse. Our sungold got to around 9 feet, one primary stem, lots of branches. It was grown in a maxi kap system and gave us a moderate amount of fruit (not loaded by any means). At the end, plant was still growing and fruiting, but we ran out of season. Production really tailed off at the end though.
Old March 1, 2013   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I agree for such a big plant, the production was moderate at best. fantastic flavor though so still a favorite although a bit late for my area. It was beautifully healthy and still blooming when it got cold here in the fall
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #6
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Last year my Sunsugar F1 was 9 feet tall, but that was just height. I never measured the length of the vines. My plant filled two other cages that were next to it as well. Basically the one plant looked like three plants. At the peak of harvesting I was getting about 5lbs of produce a week.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote