Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 15, 2010   #1
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Default *sigh* Well, I hate to even ask but...

Is this the evil late blight and do I need to start spraying asap? It seems to be limited to 2 black krims, our brandywines and hybrids don't seem to have any problems yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04807.JPG (594.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04808.JPG (558.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04809.JPG (569.9 KB, 63 views)
Old July 15, 2010   #2
kdoble
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure many will chime in here, but that does not look like LB. Have you recently sprayed your plants with anything (including fertilizer) during the day time ~ it almost looks like a leaf burn. I'm trying to look closer at the bottom tip of that leaf to see if that spot has concentric rings to it. If so, you may have the start of EB or some other fungal infection that can be controlled.
kdoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Looks like sunburn to me.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #4
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoble View Post
I'm sure many will chime in here, but that does not look like LB. Have you recently sprayed your plants with anything (including fertilizer) during the day time ~ it almost looks like a leaf burn. I'm trying to look closer at the bottom tip of that leaf to see if that spot has concentric rings to it. If so, you may have the start of EB or some other fungal infection that can be controlled.
Hi, no, nothing has ever been sprayed on these plants. We did have some hot sunny days last week and eventually some brief showers. I've looked for the rings you mention and don't see any yet.

Sunburn may make some sense since the Krim's in the pictures would somewhat shade the Brandywines. The Brandywines don't show this blemish yet.

Thanks.
Old July 15, 2010   #5
TimTom
Tomatovillian™

Does not look like LB....Appears to be sunburn.....I have several plants that have leaves that look exactly the same as what you have posted.....One has had a leaf or 2 that have looked like that for 4 week or so.....There have been no systemic effects by it at all. If fact the rest of the plant is doing wonderful....... and from the looks of your pics your plants seem to be doing wonderful too.......

TimTom
TimTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #6
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTom View Post
Does not look like LB....Appears to be sunburn.....I have several plants that have leaves that look exactly the same as what you have posted.....One has had a leaf or 2 that have looked like that for 4 week or so.....There have been no systemic effects by it at all. If fact the rest of the plant is doing wonderful....... and from the looks of your pics your plants seem to be doing wonderful too.......

TimTom

Thank you! We were hoping for something like that.
Old July 15, 2010   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

late blight i thought starts in the center stem, or finishes there when the leaves are all dead, very fast anyway, it would be on all leaves also. You will know anyway because it is a fast killer.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #8
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
late blight i thought starts in the center stem, or finishes there when the leaves are all dead, very fast anyway, it would be on all leaves also. You will know anyway because it is a fast killer.

Thanks, BTW, love the roma pic in your sig.
Old July 16, 2010   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8shot1 View Post
Is this the evil late blight and do I need to start spraying asap?
If you had late blight, it would already be too late to spray. Fortunately I don't think you have LB.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2010   #10
French-Connection
Tomatovillian™

It does look like sun scorch to me. it would not hurt to cut off the worst damaged leaves, as that is where infection starts sometimes.
Old July 16, 2010   #11
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Doesn't look a bit like late blight to me. :0) Looks like the sun has been scorching!!!! :0) :0)
Old July 16, 2010   #12
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I agree does not look like LB but maybe just some leaves that got burned, but I had to reply to this post as hasshoes I love the new pic and keep saying what you are thinking this is an open forum do not get discouraged we all have the same addiction healthy tomato plants

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote