Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 31, 2009   #1
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Default 15 gallon; 1 or 2 plants better?

I plan on growing all containers this year. I can fit 10-14 15 gallon containers. Am planing doing 30% Cow/70% something called cactus mix (very good results in the past with this stuff). I have tons of transplants and am starting to get greedy about keeping more. Am I better off just leaving one in the container (overall yield), than squeezing 2 in. These guys will get plenty of liquid fert to around, but I am more concerned a about air circulation and disease. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old March 31, 2009   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

easy-2 for sure. I use 15 gallon grow bags and I usually put 3 plants in. Used to do 4, but I think 3 are the way to go, at least for me. Am experimenting this summer on 1, 2, 3 and 4 plants per container.
Old March 31, 2009   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

I am glad you responded, since I know you have alot of experience doing the pots. I will definitely double up on everything. One more question instead of staring a new thread. Most of the plants going int the 15 gallons are over a foot tall in one gallons(already been transplanted twice, deeper each time). Should I burry them really deep like I would in the ground, or does it not really matter since the pot will eventually be engulffed in roots anyway?
Old April 1, 2009   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I also plant into containers and I bury them like I would in the garden. I plant one per container and after the season when I pull them out it is big mass of roots and they always needed a lot of water and fert or they would dry out in 2 days bad.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Two plants per container for sure. And bury them as deep as you can. Some folks can do three, but if the plant is very "bushy", then getting enough light to the "back" plant can be tedious. My plan for this year is two.

Watering can be an everyday affair regardless of plant numbers. Leads to nutrient washout, so be ready to replenish the Micros.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Vince-I bury them deep most of the time. I am not 100% convinced that it makes that much difference in a container-but I still do it. I do it mostly because I plant out in March and because of our high winds during that time, I want to protect the plant.
Old April 1, 2009   #7
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Ok Perfect, Thanks all.

I will burry them deep.
Old April 1, 2009   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

Ditto to all the replies.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote