Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2017   #76
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
You may do this too but when we are expecting big storms here and the power may go out, we fill a few 5 gallon buckets with fresh tap water so that we can dump water into the toilet for flushing when needed. It's good for washing too.

We have a well so we have no water if the pump has no electric. You may have City water but you could lose that for a time.

Also, I hope that you have pet carriers for the kitties in case that they need to be restrained to keep them safe or to travel.
Yes, pet carriers,we will get them down from the attic. Good idea.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You need to have access to the roof.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #78
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You need to have access to the roof.
Worth
Because of flooding?
Old September 8, 2017   #79
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Because of flooding?
Just in case.
I doubt you guys have much to worry about but if it where me it would be a consideration.
Maybe even a John boat for escape.
Where you live you just can't be to careful.
Most of the people that suffer during these storms are simply not prepared.
Others just get blown literally away.
Way to many people stuck on roofs waiting for rescue when all they needed was a cheap aluminum boat.
Old September 8, 2017   #80
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

So this morning we were at the airport to go to Las Vegas so I could meet my new granddaughter when we're got a text from my bil saying they might have gotten a fight out of Miami as far as Atlanta, where they would rent a car and drive up. Of course, we were not going to be here when they got here, but at least they would be safe. Our fight was overbooked, so we said we would be willing to take the next fight for the voucher they were offering. After all, my granddaughter would only be a few hours older when I got to meet her. Long story short, they were willing to rebook us for the same trip next weekend and we can be here for our family when they get in. My granddaughter will be a week older when I get to hold her for the first time. Funny how things work out.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #81
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Oh Ginger, my heart goes out to you who are having to consider such things! Hoping for the best for you all.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #82
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So did you guys see the 11am projection? Now it's hoing on the west side of the peninsula, and according to our weather lady this am, hurricane force winds only extend out 75 miles, so this is looking a bit better for us in Plantation.
Old September 8, 2017   #83
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

This morning we took off all the Earthbox cages, and put them down with the EBs through and over them to hold them down. Priorities, heh heh.
Old September 8, 2017   #84
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

This is my thoughts exactly.

Repost:

Josh Emery, wrote this. Hopefully my friends and family that are out of state will read this and have a better understanding of what's going on with Hurricane Irma in south FL.

This is the problem... news sensationalism creating unnecessary panic by using words like "catastrophic," "deadly," & "life threatening." This graphic makes me sick to my stomach, and not out of fear. I take this storm very seriously and the need for preparation and giving this situation its due diligence is certainly warranted. My family's safety is my #1 priority and I also feel for those people who just don't want to be here through this, so please don't take me as unsympathetic or fearless.

That being said, because of the media's creation of widespread terror perpetuated by a seemingly endless torrent of social media, the people who really need to evacuate are now stuck in the parking lots formally known as Northbound I-95, I-75 and the Florida Turnpike... with little to no gas and no potential destination in sight. The people from out of state who were dumped back in Miami days early because their cruise ship was forced to dock cannot get early flights home and have no hope of driving to safety because the roads leading them there are clogged and there isn't enough gas to get them home. The people in the areas threatened by the storm surge, those who would take the brunt of a Cat 4 landfall on the southern coasts of the state and people in mobile homes, who legitimately need to evacuate are struggling to get to safety because the media has terrified the general public living anywhere in the potential path of the storm, namely the entire state of Florida, into thinking they are in mortal danger if they stay.

The fact of the matter is building codes have been updated to handle more severe weather because of the last Cat 5 to make landfall in Florida. We learned from Andrew. Homes have come a long way in the last 25 years. There have been multiple storms since then ranging from tropical depressions to Cat 4 hurricanes. Homes here have been flooded, damaged and rebuilt... up to new code with the latest in requirements for engineering strategies designed to make homes safer. If you're in a mobile home, high rise or an older home that has never been updated, free shelters are available in your area to keep you and your family, including your pets, out of danger. Most Floridians are likely have safe, durable, storm-worthy homes that may take some damage but will still keep you out of harm's way. You might lose your roof or your ceiling may leak and ruin what's inside, but unless you're in one of the aforementioned areas you are in less danger waiting the storm out in your home than on a major highway.

A Cat 5 would most definitely be devastating to the area and without proper preparation, even a Cat 2 can be "deadly." But for all those up North advising their friends and relatives to "get out now" regardless of where they reside or without regard for the durability of their homes, thank you for your concern but your advice is unsubstantiated based on your source of information. The media, as always, is distorting the facts to keep your eyes glued your screens and thus driving their ratings up. It's important for the local stations in the "cone of uncertainty" to inform and urge people to prepare for their own safety. It's important for The Weather Channel to keep us abreast of what's going on with this storm and what the potential scenarios are. But inducing nationwide panic is out of line. Statistically more people die in the wake of a hurricane from trying to move a downed power line or from carbon monoxide asphyxiation because they're running their generator inside their home than because they stayed in their properly prepared home outside of a surge area during the storm. These occurrences happen after the storm... after people have returned to their home.

Mandatory evacuations are not statewide. Certain areas need to be evacuated due to the severity of this storm, but not everyone who has a chance to see some of its weather. This storm is HUGE and all of us will be affected in some way no matter where we live in Florida... but not equally. I will not be impacted by a direct hit from this storm the same as someone in Homestead or Naples, nor the same as someone in Jacksonville. So the notion of everyone in the state having to flee is irresponsible and unfounded reporting.

Thank you all for your concern for us down here. Knowing you are all over the country praying for us just as we prayed for those in Texas this summer truly means a lot. In times like these, helping each other one human being to another is the best thing we can do. If you have a durable, properly prepared home, you can do more help by offering friends and family in mandatory evacuation zones a safe place to stay... clearing the roads for those who have nowhere to go but north until they can find lodging. Share one of your five cases of bottle water with your neighbor. Help the disabled person down the street to secure their home and make sure they're ok when the winds have calmed do. Take advantage of that.
Old September 8, 2017   #85
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Dave Barry lives in South Florida. He wrote this hilarious piece.
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/li...171702477.html
Old September 8, 2017   #86
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It's looking better for you by the minute but the news isn't saying much about it.

The Euro model projected a west track yesterday before all the other models started to follow. The euro 12z should be out around 3:20pm. I'm curious to see if it follows the earlier 00z track and wind speed at landfall. I'm guessing the model is picking up cooler air from the front being sucked in the storm along with Cuba slowing it down some and that has it weakening. You can see the cold front coming down in the first image, the second image is the Cat at landfall.

I hope the Euro is right and you have minimal damage. Don't take this for a real forecast and don't get complacent, it's gonna be a long night once hurricane force winds start.
Attached Images
File Type: gif vis0.thumb.gif.ad584ade7e11dd7306333e0b244e3e2e.gif (265.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Euro00z.JPG (70.2 KB, 99 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #87
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Unless Irma moves north she looks like she's gonna at least skirt the coast of Cuba.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...5-rb-long.html
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #88
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think they should evacuate according to income.
Us rich people first the most impoverished last.
The reason it is us super wealthy that keep the world going.
Without us there would be no economy and the poor would be lost.
Not only that we deserve it.
Old September 8, 2017   #89
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have lived here since 1960 and have never left during a storm. Matthew did a lot of damage to the beaches and some inland last year but the local weather reporters keep saying this one will be worse. I have a Golden Retriever that is almost 13, a super high energy Decker Terrier that is 8 months and an old cat that hates riding. I can't even imagine being on the road with my crew let alone find a place that would let you have that many animals. I have taken all the steps I can to prepare and now am hoping for the best.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #90
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
It's looking better for you by the minute but the news isn't saying much about it.

The Euro model projected a west track yesterday before all the other models started to follow. The euro 12z should be out around 3:20pm. I'm curious to see if it follows the earlier 00z track and wind speed at landfall. I'm guessing the model is picking up cooler air from the front being sucked in the storm along with Cuba slowing it down some and that has it weakening. You can see the cold front coming down in the first image, the second image is the Cat at landfall.

I hope the Euro is right and you have minimal damage. Don't take this for a real forecast and don't get complacent, it's gonna be a long night once hurricane force winds start.
Liking this a lot. No complacency, I promise.
Why is it Florida hurricane impacts seem to want to be at night? Lol.