Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting time

Checking the ground temperature it shows readings around 55 degrees in this part of the state.I was wondering if anyone has any tomatoes in the ground yet?I want to wait another 2 weeks to be sure.Peppers will be planted the first week of June if the weather stays warm.Problem I have is both are showing signs of budding.Might have to pinch off any buds.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #2
Southernmainer
Tomatovillian™

Here in southern Maine it looks like we finally have a break in the cold, wet weather. I only have broccoli and brussel sprouts planted right now but by the end of the week I hope to have all seeds in and all tomatoes and peppers transplanted.
Southernmainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't put them in the soil at 55.
All they are going to do is sit there and do nothing.
Wait for 60.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #4
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Prime time here. Got caught up the past two days. I have 86 tomatoes, 5 bell peppers and 8 egg plants, 40ft row of half runners set out. Got 4 more peppers, zuchinni and yellow squash still to plant. Beautiful weather. Just got back from Krogers at 7:30, temp in the 50s but 90 is forecasted. Wow!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm watching the ten day forecast and weighing my options.

The monster-size grafted tomato seedlings went out to the mini greenhouses yesterday morning and unless there's a major change in the forecast, they'll be in the ground this weekend--they're too big to wait any longer.

The pepper and eggplant seedlings will probably go out to the mini greenhouse this week, but I usually wait a week after planting tomatoes to get them in the ground. None are going in grow bags this year, so getting them out will be much easier!

I haven't checked my soil recently, but it was already over 60 a week ago and with temps in the 80s and lots of sun these next few days, it should jump higher. I'm still trying to decide if I'm direct sowing the beans, cucumbers and zucchini, or if I'm starting them indoors tonight. I'm leaning towards direct sowing.

We're almost there!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I'm watching the soil temps closely.This week it's going to around 80 which is still warmer than normal.I just pinched some flowers off my early girl's.We'll see how the week goes.
Old May 16, 2017   #7
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

" Its gonna be hot and its gonna be bright and it will last you the rst of your life".
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
" Its gonna be hot and its gonna be bright and it will last you the rst of your life".
Some day for sure!
Old May 16, 2017   #9
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

CJP:

Is your knee fine from your fall last week?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #10
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

CJP, I am not far from you. I am within spittin distance from Youngstown and I will start putting my plants out day after tomorrow. LOL Thursday that is! If needs be I will cover them at night but expect all to be well. Hubby is about to revolt if I don't get all my plants out of the house.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
CJP:

Is your knee fine from your fall last week?

Jeff
Yes,thanks for asking!I'm fine,just have to be more careful with steps.My own fault
Old May 16, 2017   #12
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
CJP, I am not far from you. I am within spittin distance from Youngstown and I will start putting my plants out day after tomorrow. LOL Thursday that is! If needs be I will cover them at night but expect all to be well. Hubby is about to revolt if I don't get all my plants out of the house.
Your 50 miles east of me and have the same weather system.Hope all goes well with your planting.I put mine in the garage today and will leave them there.They spent a few hours in the sun today.I'll increase this daily. About half way through hardening off.
Old May 16, 2017   #13
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Checking the ground temperature it shows readings around 55 degrees in this part of the state.I was wondering if anyone has any tomatoes in the ground yet?I want to wait another 2 weeks to be sure.Peppers will be planted the first week of June if the weather stays warm.Problem I have is both are showing signs of budding.Might have to pinch off any buds.
My ideal plant-out date (if I don't want to cover stuff) is probably anywhere between Thursday and the end of the month, this year (much later than last year, it seems). I have a few plants I transplanted as new seedlings quite a while ago, though (as it was warmer then). They're covered, now, though, which is just as well, since the covers keep the bugs away.

Most of my muskmelons and watermelons have been transplanted already (they're all small plants covered with milk jugs or cups with ventilation, though). I've got some I direct-seeded a few days ago that have sprouted despite the cold (those are uncovered)—Ginger's Pride x Ha'Ogen F2 (maybe crossed again with something else).

There are plenty of reseeded tomatoes, however. They're everywhere (even more than the tomatillos). I didn't realize so many tomatoes got left behind. Those ones are growing pretty vigorously. I might let specific tomato seeds overwinter in specific spots on purpose for next year. They don't seem bothered by the cold at all.

Last edited by shule1; May 16, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old May 16, 2017   #14
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Huh. That's a good idea. I wonder about leaving black plastic down with winter sown tomato seeds. When we are past the bad freezes I could set a Wall of Water around the tomato seeds to help with quicker germination.

Worth a try!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #15
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

I planted my tomatoes and peppers yesterday and mulched them to keep the soil warm. The soil in my raised beds was showing 20 C to 25 C/60 to 77 F but it should be even warmer tomorrow with a forecast for 81 F.) I'm thinking they liked being planted because several are now flowering.

I will monitor the weather daily since we could still have frost.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote