Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2017   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Crimson

A friend has suggested I try black crimson tomato plant in addition to my normal variety jetstar & big boy. Can anyone give me an idea if the black crimson has a good yield and if this plant does well in 7gallon grow bags. I've been very happy with the results fro jetstar & big boy, both in yield & taste. I've never grown black crimson so any info will help me decide if I should try them.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

According to Tania's website Black Crimson is also known as Black Krim .... so large yields of yummy fruit

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Black_Crimson
Old May 15, 2017   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

PNW D Thanks now I wonder how well it will do in a 7 gallon grow bag? I'd like to know if anyone has had good luck with the black crim in a grow bag.
Old May 15, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I had to go back to an earlier SSE Yearbook since I knew there was something kind of funny about it,the 2017 Year book is useless.

And here's what I found.

Nothing new about Black Crimson,it's been known since about 2011 and now I'm going to list what some said about it

From CT, red black color,tasty,maybe just a pinch seedy
IA, dependable production,good flavor (which is way down on adjectives used to describe tomato tastes, from X in 2011 who got it from y, who got it from Bingo, that one is important.

At the time there was competition between several listed SSE members to see who could list the most.Bingo in particular changed the names of some varieties to indicate they were something new.

I just checked again, and yes,Bingo also listed Black Krim as well.

Bingo is known by those who know him, as I do, for changing the names of varieties to up his total listings.

So there you go.

JetStar,if you want to grow it,it's indet and I think 7 gal bags would be too small, do you have any other options?

And yes,I know the Harris hybrids JetStar,Supersonic, and Moreton Hybrid ,very well, The Harris agent used to come to our farm house each fall and see what dad needed more of and then described the new ones they had. Not just tomatoes but all else that they offered.

I was sad when Moran seeds bought out Harris, so it was then Harris Moran, but eventually Harris was able to get themselves out of that and become independent again.

I was sent a 2017 catalog, but it had a new name and was nothing like the Harris catalogs I had ordered from so many times.When I was in Rochester,NY I went to the Harris growing fields and looked around,really nice folks. At that time they had they had their own breeders but after the split part of the deal was that they could get commercial amounts from Moran Seeds.

Carolyn
Old May 15, 2017   #5
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn137 Thanks for shedding some light on the black krim. the 7gal. bag is the largest I have and if it needs larger I'll just pass on growing this plant. I'll stick with the 2 indeterminate's that did very well for me in the past 2yrs. Jetstar & Big Boy. Both have given very good yield and little issues with BLM or disease.