Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 16, 2010   #31
lieven
Tomatovillian™

Glad you want to share my crosses with everybody, Tormato :-) That's what I made them for. My favorite so far is Sungold x Romeo.
lieven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2010   #32
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Greetings David!!

Are you the breeder of the Sungold x Mom's F1??

check out Tania's site - some nice results to date

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sungold_X_Mom%27s

Cheers,
Old June 17, 2010   #33
lieven
Tomatovillian™

Huhuh, that was mine, but feel free to share & stabilize & name this little project I started. Glad you & others seem to like this cross. The F3 children look great; personally I lack both space & patience to grow out further generations so I just stick to F1s & I even cross my F1s to each other.
I wish I had taken pics of Sungold x Mom's F1 but, as I just checked, I didn't. I do remember, however what it looked like: oblate, yellow with pink blossom end; one plant had fruits of 100 g, the other of 50 g. Yummy, sweet, prolific; since then, however, Sungold x Romeo F1 has proved much more so to me, so that's the one I'm going to stick to.
Oh, my first name is Lieven and my surname is David: I've been explaining that to everyone for almost 47 years now :-)
lieven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2010   #34
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

How are the Sungold crosses going? Sungold is the most reliable early tomato I've ever grown in my low light container garden here in Misery. I've picked Sungold for two weeks now. Also picked a ripe Haley's Purple Comet and an Amelia in the last couple of days. Other varieties look to be a month away.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2010   #35
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sungold x Mom's F3 pink in '09, and it was a darned good pink cherry. This is the one that Denise refers to as Plant 2 on Tatiana's site.

This year I grew Sweet as Linda, which is a (mostly) stable cross of Sungold x Marianna's Peace. Another nice pink cherry, fruits somewhat similar in taste, size and appearance to Sweet Quartz F1. I had to make an effort not to get the two mixed up when picking. Tends towards the sweet side, but also has enough complexity and tartness to keep it interesting. I don't really care much for tomatoes that are just "sweet" and little else...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2010   #36
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This year I grew Sweet as Linda, which is a (mostly) stable cross of Sungold x Marianna's Peace.
Oh my! My two fav tomatoes of all time. MP usually dies of fusarium before I get more than one or two ripe. (if lucky) I found two SG volunteers in a large container that I overwintered a hot pepper in. True to form and taste and will ferment some of them for seed soon.

I wonder how Tom Wagner's Sungold crosses are doing?

Quote:
Tends towards the sweet side, but also has enough complexity and tartness to keep it interesting. I don't really care much for tomatoes that are just "sweet" and little else...
I agree 100%. Nice going, Suze!

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #37
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd keep this thread rolling .........

started to think about crossing Sungold with either Aunt Gertie's Gold or Lucky Cross - as these are both delicious but have been late/low producers in my garden in past years. An early saladette with outstanding taste would be the hoped for outcome.

In browsing the web I note a Sungold x Little Lucky cross done by Keith Mueller and commented on by DarJones - anyone know the status of this one?
I have a personal absolute best flavor experience of my life in a tomato but it is none of the above. I was visiting Keith Mueller last September and sampled some tomatoes from his garden. He is working on stabilizing a line from a cross of Sungold X Little Lucky. If you have grown Sungold, you know how sweet it can be. If you have grown Little Lucky, you know how much flavor it has. Now combine the two into the most awesome flavor package I've ever had the pleasure of sampling. SunLucky is sweet as sugar with a brix of at least 12 when I sampled it and it has that fabulous Brandywine flavor from Little Lucky. And get this, it is potato leaf and bicolor! On my rating scale of 1 to 10, it got 11.5 which is totally off the scale and made me re-evaluate all other tomatoes I've ever tasted.

Keith may have something stabilized in a year or so. Here's hoping he can get that fabulous flavor into a tomato we all can grow.

DarJones
April 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Anyone worked on Lucky Cross or Aunt Gertie's Gold x Sungold and/or have the time, space and inclination to do so ........

and to think of all the material that would not be here today if it hadn't been for Tad (Old German x Tigerella) along with the help of Brandywine
Old January 29, 2013   #38
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Excellent ideas. However, crosses to hybrids (especially one like Sungold) take a bit to stabilize. If you dehybridize Sungold first for the traits you want like brix or earliness, and then cross out, the path can be more straightforward. That's what we've been doing.
This summer (along with too many other projects) I am finishing up a GWR with Sungold genetics. I like Little Lucky as well, and used it for the Blue Bumblebee.
Things are up and growing, so I should post some photos soon.
Thanks for bringing the thread back.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

and to think of all the material that would not be here today if it hadn't been for Tad (Old German x Tigerella) along with the help of Brandywine

D, I don't remember Tad as being that cross, is that posted somewhere b'c my brain doesn't remember that and actually it was Tad Smith who made a three way cross and sent me the seeds, told me I had a 1/64 chance of getting what he wanted but got it in the first 12 plants I put out. I lost all of his chromosome maps when I moved here in 1999.

Keith is calling the cross Sunlucky and last I knew it was still a work in progress. A plant was given to someone I know well, but I never got any feedback from it. I mean the person, not the plant.

What keith was trying to do was to keep the distinctive scent of the foliage, which I've never experienced, as well as the taste in his selection process. I haven't heard anything about it in a year or so.

Carolyn
Old January 29, 2013   #40
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi Carolyn,

I believe we have the scent stabilized in a couple of the Ambrosia lines, which are at F6 and F7. Frogsleap has one as well. We started about the same time, working with the premise that the scent was linked to sucrose accumulation. Sometimes it works to follow your nose!

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #41
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Ah, SunLucky ..

Carolyn, here is the reference thread re Tad - from some time ago

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....94&postcount=1

and another interesting related thread from Craig

http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...11&postcount=1
Old January 29, 2013   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Ah, SunLucky ..

Carolyn, here is the reference thread re Tad - from some time ago

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....94&postcount=1

and another interesting related thread from Craig

http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...11&postcount=1
OK, that first one is from 2006 and maybe back then I would have remembered what the cross was but I know that it was a three way cross and had the chromosome maps that Tad sent me to indicate the genes he wasinterested in and Tad did no selections at all, just sent me the hybrid seeds and I did the rest.

And yes, I named it Tad and Tad said not to distribute seeds to anyone except Craig and back to him, b'c he wanted to upsize it but never did.

Tad has a Ph. D in plant breeding and worked in the peanut fields of GA for far to long, ahem, moved back north and then was the head of the potato Late Blight section at a place near Philly whose name escapes me from time to time.

Seveal of the tomato varieties he bred are still listed in the SSE Yearbooks and I put a couple of them in my book, Tad used to send F1 hybrid seeds of some that he bred to just Craig and myself and I remember one pink heart, I don't think it had a name, and when the F1 seeds were gone it was indeed a sad day.

Someone tracked him down recently, I'd lost contact with him and he was found in CA as the head of some place, somewhere, just to be specific.

I know I kept the search link in my faves and was going to contact him, but just forgot to do so.

He's a wonderful guy and very bright, that's for sure.

So if you see someone who says they have the variety Tad, and one peson has said so, they aren't telling the truth b'c only Craig and I have it and I ran across it the other day and I suppose I should get Craig to raise a plant for me and send it up here and grow it far away from the others, or Freda will, and have her put up a 12' fence so no two legged or four footed individuals have access to it.

And that b'c so many really good ones have come out of that accidental cross between Brandywine X Tad.

Carolyn
Old January 29, 2013   #43
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
hi Carolyn,

I believe we have the scent stabilized in a couple of the Ambrosia lines, which are at F6 and F7. Frogsleap has one as well. We started about the same time, working with the premise that the scent was linked to sucrose accumulation. Sometimes it works to follow your nose!

Lee
Very interesting Lee. And how was it determined that scent and sucrose accumulation were linked? I wouldn't have predicted that myself, but what do I know.

I know that if I move forward following my nose that my body follows, that's what I know.

Carolyn
Old January 30, 2013   #44
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Thought I'd keep this thread rolling .........

started to think about crossing Sungold with either Aunt Gertie's Gold or Lucky Cross - as these are both delicious but have been late/low producers in my garden in past years. An early saladette with outstanding taste would be the hoped for outcome.

In browsing the web I note a Sungold x Little Lucky cross done by Keith Mueller and commented on by DarJones - anyone know the status of this one?
I have a personal absolute best flavor experience of my life in a tomato but it is none of the above. I was visiting Keith Mueller last September and sampled some tomatoes from his garden. He is working on stabilizing a line from a cross of Sungold X Little Lucky. If you have grown Sungold, you know how sweet it can be. If you have grown Little Lucky, you know how much flavor it has. Now combine the two into the most awesome flavor package I've ever had the pleasure of sampling. SunLucky is sweet as sugar with a brix of at least 12 when I sampled it and it has that fabulous Brandywine flavor from Little Lucky. And get this, it is potato leaf and bicolor! On my rating scale of 1 to 10, it got 11.5 which is totally off the scale and made me re-evaluate all other tomatoes I've ever tasted.

Keith may have something stabilized in a year or so. Here's hoping he can get that fabulous flavor into a tomato we all can grow.

DarJones
April 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Anyone worked on Lucky Cross or Aunt Gertie's Gold x Sungold and/or have the time, space and inclination to do so ........

I have advanced generation selections from SunSugar x Lucky Cross. So far so good.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #45
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

frogsleap - any reason to choose SunSugar over Sungold?

any early saladette's (or larger) with that skunky foliage in the works?

would love to see some pics .........