Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2017   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default quick question

ok here's the deal-- heading out of town for 6 days, i have 15 tomato plants in 9x6 pots, they are not hardened off yet due to weather, will they be ok in the garage where they are at now, with only one small window, for that amout of time or should i bring them back in the basement and put them under the grow lights til i get back? son will be able to water as needed, but can't put them outside and back in , he's got too many other things going on. lol so what's everyones opinions ?, thanks again---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I vote for back under grow lights. I bet the plants are getting pretty big and 6 days of serious light deficiency would really hurt their vigor.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

What will the lowest temps be while you're gone? If above 50, I would find them a sheltered spot outside.

I would put them back under the lights if there is absolutely no possibility of them staying outside. Although, you'd probably need to start the hardening process all over again...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with putting them under the lights.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Under the light.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Can you put them right next to the window and what exposure is the window? This may actually work. If there is no way to get them right up against the window, 6 days is a long time for semi-darkness. I forgot about a cherry tomato plant that I had under a bucket to protect from hail and it is a little weird looking after a similar darkness period. I have hopes for its future if the temps would quit acting like it was April 1.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote