Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2017   #16
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
High heat doesn't do it UV radiation does.
I tried one called New Yorker or something like that.
It doesn't like Texas one bit.
Worth
Sounds like a salsa commercial.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #17
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

"I don't think there's much connection between pruning and BER, never been a problem for me pruning to one stem. Water regularly, or install some automated method. Dry farming is not a good idea at all in containers, never let them wilt even a bit." -zipcode

This is good advice. Many soil growers wait until they see signs of wilting then water. If you do that with containers it is very likely that it is too late and you are inviting BER. I have installed a simple drip system this year to water my patio planters. If you still have a problem with it then consider growing more determinates.. Not sure why but they seem more resistant to BER in containers than the indeterminates that I have grown.
Old May 15, 2017   #18
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, guys. I wasn't so much concerned that pruning was causing BER, as much as wanted to prune to maximize yield. This is in case I did end up losing tomatoes to BER or anything else, I would be hedging my bets against loss by growing as many tomatoes as I could.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
Sounds like a salsa commercial.
Only this time I welcomed the New York tomato.
My mistake was to plant it front and center on the southern most row with no protection from the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Thanks, guys. I wasn't so much concerned that pruning was causing BER, as much as wanted to prune to maximize yield. This is in case I did end up losing tomatoes to BER or anything else, I would be hedging my bets against loss by growing as many tomatoes as I could.
I dont cut the growing sprouts from the middle as much but I do get rid of the leaves inside and around the plant so I can see through the plant.
This will increase bloom production big time as the sun can get in that area.
If not then you just have a bunch if vines growing in the shade not producing blooms.
A mini swamp that is not healthy for a tomato plant.
The ones that do produce blooms will not pollinate as much and fall off.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote