Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old October 17, 2013   #1
Billybob
Tomatovillian™

Default Jiffy seed starting mix???

I bought some Jiffy organic seed starting mix a couple of years ago. It had many finely ground contents but a lot of it was vermiculite (or at least the color and texture of vermiculite). I could put down on my rows of onion seed using a funnel.

Last week I went to Kingwood Garden Center and Lowes and bought the same stuff but it is basically sphag moss with some other little items added. I was disappointed. It was quite coarse. I have about 25 bales of ProMix HP (hp meaning lots of perlite- highly porous) that I screened for a bed of onion seeds. The Jiffy Seed Mix had about the same percent success rate as the 100% Promix.

Can I use my Promix as a seed starting medium and then use the SETTFest starting from seed procedures??
Old October 17, 2013   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

A post in the SETTFest section. /dies of shock

Did a search for "Pro-Mix HP seed starting" and found this thread from people who have been successful using that as a seed starting mix:
https://www.autoflower.net/forums/f4...ning-7170.html

I believe all Pro-Mix is soilless/sterile.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old October 19, 2013   #3
Billybob
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for taking the time to research that. I noticed on the back of the package it says you can start seedlings and the part about using it as a seed starter is noticeably absent.

I think I agree, I will screen it and use it for seed starting.

Bill K
Old October 20, 2013   #4
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

You might want to check ACE, they have a store brand (I think) that I used with excellent results earlier this summer.

I have been using a 2:1:1 peat, perlite, vermiculite mix (the Cornell peat-lite) for seed starting since and haven't had any issues with germination or damping off, for what it's worth. And all three ingredients are available at Home Depot in bulk.
Old October 21, 2013   #5
Billybob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I will check with Ace. I was happy with the heavy vermiculite. This sphag/ peat stuff is okay but I have plenty of it and would not even think of buying anymore.

I like to follow the pot growers- they seem to have a grasp of the unconventional that eventually becomes conventional.

thank you for your input.
Old October 21, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I do too, feel a bit weird visiting those sites but the information is so useful!

Tl