Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 28, 2014   #46
bower
Tomatovillian™

Precocious buds.... awesome!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #47
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

haha! yes, we like 'em early up here. Tell you what Bower, since you are the only one who ever responds on this thread , if any of these turns out to be really good, you get first dibs to try it out. deal?
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #48
bower
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! Hope I can return the favour as well...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #49
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

A few of us read this thread Karen. I don't have a lot to contribute so don't say much.

Did you use Captain Lucky as the female parent? If so, standard breeding description is to always put the female parent first. Captain Lucky X Ludmilla's Pink Heart is the cross that I would make because you could tell the crossed seedlings at a glance.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #50
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello Fusion Power,
I do know that the female parent should be listed first. Captain lucky was used as the pollen parent in both of these crosses mainly because "he" was so generous with giving up pollen and I really like the flavour. LPH has large long buds that were fairly easy to emasculate so that was why I used "her" as the female parent as I'm new at this .as well I love oxhearts in general. I also wanted to use a PL plant so that I could see in the F2 confirmation that it was indeed a real cross by the presence of PL seedlings from a RL F1.
Anyway, thanks for commenting I'm quite excited about my first try at this. nice to see ya
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; April 29, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old April 29, 2014   #51
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Another reader here, I enjoy your posts and updates on progress
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #52
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm reading too Karen, and was really excited for you that you managed to grow your plant over the winter - in Canada no less! (I cheat and go south for the winter).

Keep up the good work and let us know if you get some TASTY ones .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #53
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I also have been following your breeding and was very impressed with your winter growout of the F1 (I may attempt your bravery this coming winter).

I did have a few questions. Did you sow all your seeds from your F1 winter plants (and are those plants still around?). I often save some seeds back in case I have some sort of failure.

Also, how many F2 plants of each variety are you keeping? I understand that you can't keep them all, but don't you need as many as possilble to see the segregation? (You of course did early on segregate (and I assume select) for PL, but I assume there's other qualities you're looking for.

Chris
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #54
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris, thanks it was something to have those big plants in my kitchen all winter and I am happy it worked!
I only planted a few Of the f1 seeds for in the house last fall. I have a couple hundred of each to mess with in the future if I want. I have about 50 plants to grow out,farming some out to friends for extra space, so we will see what comes of that. I have selected a lot of pl ones but also regular leaf ones too. I am interested to see what they produce and I am having fun with it so far. If nothing exiting surfaces I do have several hundred F2 seeds of each cross to try again with next year.
Karen
Old May 1, 2014   #55
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayc View Post
Another reader here, I enjoy your posts and updates on progress
Thank you Jayc, I appreciate that . I wish you a fantastic garden season this year. Where are you at in terms of planting at this time of year in the UK?
Karen
Old May 1, 2014   #56
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Karen I grow pretty much all my toms either in a greenhouse or poly tunnel - hoop house. Summers are a bit on the border to be able to grow tomatoes and peppers etc well outdoors here. I've just started planting out one border with tomato plants, but we have a light frost forecast for the weekend, so I won't be doing any more till next week. In the garden plum trees have flowered, apple, cherry and pear trees are all in blossom. Bluebells, cowslips, primroses and the later narcissus all look gorgeous. First blackbird fledglings have just left the nest which is good news as they were in a hoop house so I can get on and make it ready now!

Loving the progress reports and I'm sure you will find something special, lots of fun isn't But I have to say watch out, this crossing/breeding tomatoes is 1000% addictive!
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #57
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

48 days from sowing!

A photo 1 of the regular leaf LPH x CL crosses first bloom (a fused one)
now another RL plant has bloomed at 50 days and one of the PL ones at 51 days from sowing. so 3/9 plants from the first sowing are blooming quite early the other 6 are not really budding yet at all. Interesting. I plan to let them set fruit even though they are still in pots, they are in gallon pots in the greenhouse so I think they will be OK and I want to see what they look like.
I think I should just let my F2 plants grow as they want to do and not mess with them very much, treat them all the same as much as possible and just observe and make note of what they do without a lot of interference in the form of pruning etc. Is that right?
Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fused.jpg (26.7 KB, 133 views)
Old May 11, 2014   #58
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I just read this thread! I'm so I impressed with your project! It's fantastic! Not sure I would even know how to begin. I think you should give us lessons! They look beautiful. Good for you for growing those plants through a long Canadian winter. You are an inspiration, seriously. Keep us posted.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014   #59
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Sharon, I am very proud of my babies so far. I am excited to see what sort of fruit they produce as I hope for quite a bit of segregation and variation in this group. I am hoping for one special one to work toward stabilizing over the next several years. (A fancy potato leaf heart would be my dream come true) but who knows what will be will be. It's really been interesting so far.
Thanks for your comment
Karen
Old May 12, 2014   #60
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

weekly checkup. May 12 All of the F2 seedlings I have selected to grow out so far are pictured here
they should be planted out in less than 3 weeks now. Weather is finally looking like it's finally going to be garden season after all this year. Meantime they are doing well in the GH.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3581757&type=1
Karen