Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 25, 2013   #46
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I planted 15 other crosses and the first buds have appeared. Anyone else?
No buds, but everything you sent is doing good.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2013   #47
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 Seed

I got the seeds yesterday, they look to have made the trip well. I will get them started today.
Thanks again!
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #48
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Default Update

4/28/2013 I put seeds in wet paper towel inside plastic baggies.

Chocolate Cherry x SungoldF1-3 started 3 sprouted
Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra- 6 planted 6 sprouted

I planted them in cups of potting mix tonight.

I will be starting the other Chocolate Cherry x SungoldF1 tomorrow. I intend to grow out all of them that will grow for me, and 6 of the Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra ones.

Carrie
Old May 7, 2013   #49
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

5 of Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra doing well, 1 is questionable. Other seeds not up yet.

1 of Chocolate Cherry x Sungold F1 doing really well, 1 doing ok, and one not looking good. Other seeds not up yet.
Old May 7, 2013   #50
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Feel free to cull the weak ones! the Dr. C x GZ should all be uniform in the F1 so growing many plants is not necessary, from a genetics standpoint.

Hoping to get some F2 seed from a couple southern hemisphere people soon! If I do I could plant some out this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
5 of Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra doing well, 1 is questionable. Other seeds not up yet.

1 of Chocolate Cherry x Sungold F1 doing really well, 1 doing ok, and one not looking good. Other seeds not up yet.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #51
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Anything ripening yet? Anything of particular note?

I do hope y'all will send me some seed back!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old June 16, 2013   #52
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

The two plants of the "Dr. Carolyn x Pink Berkeley Tie Dye" cross I put into the garden are about 8in tall and looking healthy. They had some late-starting siblings that didn't get kept around.

The cold/late spring here in Minnesota has driven me to distraction. (I was overly pleased to see one of my "Tiny Tim" plants was starting into flower last week, though the stamens didn't seem to develop properly in the cold. (Perhaps I should try to introgress the parthogenic fruit trait into a miniature line in the future...))
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #53
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I have several Dr C x Green Zebra crosses in a large pot(can't bring myself to cull any, and all are healthy), and one waiting to go into the ground. Of the Chocolate Cherry x Sungold F1- I got two plants, one in large pot, and planted in ground yesterday. No flowers on them yet. Hopefully I will have lots of seed from both to return to you soon. I think of all the varieties I am trying this year, I am most excited about the CC X SG f1 cross! Can't wait to see what they do!
Old June 16, 2013   #54
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Nothing ripe but all flowering and some with fruit set. Very good plants. Some of the best in the field. Yes of course I will save seeds to return

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #55
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I had the 3 plants in their pots too long because I did not have the bed ready
where I had planned to plant them. It showed on the poor little plants. About
a month ago they made it to their bed. I still have to put cages on them before
it's too late. They looked pretty bad for awhile, but now are looking pretty good
and have some little fruit. I will take pics on friday. They would have been a
lot bigger if I had planted them on time.

Mine was Juliet F1 x Speckled Roman.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #56
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Is OK! Looking forward to pix of this one. The F2 could be interesting on this cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I had the 3 plants in their pots too long because I did not have the bed ready
where I had planned to plant them. It showed on the poor little plants. About
a month ago they made it to their bed. I still have to put cages on them before
it's too late. They looked pretty bad for awhile, but now are looking pretty good
and have some little fruit. I will take pics on friday. They would have been a
lot bigger if I had planted them on time.

Mine was Juliet F1 x Speckled Roman.

Old June 21, 2013   #57
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of the only plant with some fruit right now. This is all one plant.

roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #58
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Definitely has the Speckled Roman shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Here is a picture of the only plant with some fruit right now. This is all one plant.

Old July 3, 2013   #59
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Chris, I got jxgz, jxsr and gzxbft from you and grew out three of each. I have the notes that I took over the year on them and can pm them to you if you like. My family likes one of the gzxbft for flavor ... one of the jxsr has faint yellow stripes.. I'm drying the seeds now and will have some for you if you like of the different types. I labeled the three plants A B C of each of the three crosses so we can keep them identified, since some have clusters and oblong tomatoes while another one has round separate tomatoes of the jxgz cross and this cross has the healthiest and largest of the three crosses. The jxsr has bad bottom end rot, probably caused by the 100deg plus temps for the last month. I don't use shade and all for the most part have held up well.
Old July 3, 2013   #60
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Great! Would love to have any notes and pics!

Did GZ x BFT show much segregation across the three plants? Of the three crosses it should be the most consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
Chris, I got jxgz, jxsr and gzxbft from you and grew out three of each. I have the notes that I took over the year on them and can pm them to you if you like. My family likes one of the gzxbft for flavor ... one of the jxsr has faint yellow stripes.. I'm drying the seeds now and will have some for you if you like of the different types. I labeled the three plants A B C of each of the three crosses so we can keep them identified, since some have clusters and oblong tomatoes while another one has round separate tomatoes of the jxgz cross and this cross has the healthiest and largest of the three crosses. The jxsr has bad bottom end rot, probably caused by the 100deg plus temps for the last month. I don't use shade and all for the most part have held up well.