Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 18, 2011   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Shortage Again

Tomato Shortage Again. This looks like it is becoming an annual event.
Per TV channel 7 Chicago;

February 15, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A freeze in Mexico and cold weather in Florida and Texas are creating a tomato shortage.
This is expected to drive up prices at the grocery store.
The shortage has forced the Wendy's restaurant chain to only serve tomatoes on its sandwiches upon request.
Growers expect the shortage to last through April.
The freeze in Mexico has also shortened the supply of cucumbers, bell peppers and other vegetables.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...mer&id=7960686
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #2
JackE
Tomatovillian™

This is when the greenhouse operators make a killing! Wish we had some to sell!

I'm LUVIN' this weather!!! Low last night was 59, it's 74 right now and the a/c is on! We put-in corn, snap beans and potatoes on Wed. If it frosts we'll just replant. We do that every year - sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #3
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

The "tomatoes" that the fast food and other resturants put on sandwichs and in salads during the winter months are not real tomatoes anyway and must be just for color; surely not for taste.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #4
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

The people @ Subway always give me strange looks when I say "No lettuce or tomatoes please".
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #5
strax
Tomatovillian™

is there anything on the bun when you get it? i think subway subs are 99% lettuce. lol, sad but true.
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #6
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Most people that eat in those places have never tasted a vine-ripened OP - they think that's the way tomatoes are suppose to taste. I'd just as soon it stays that way - the more demanding they are, the more they complain about things, the harder my life becomes! :-).

Last edited by JackE; February 19, 2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old February 19, 2011   #7
surf4grrl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The "tomatoes" that the fast food and other resturants put on sandwichs and in salads during the winter months are not real tomatoes anyway and must be just for color; surely not for taste.
Amen.

As an aside - anyone have any luck with "Longkeepers" etc. I'm playing with the idea of growing them and seeing how they last through the early winter here in NY - but it's somewhat of a logistical nightmare. If anyone has any experience/ideas - I'd love to hear about it.
surf4grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

surf,

There is a real nice "Search" function here at Tomatoville. Just type in "longkeeper" and you will get dozens of posts. Here is a link to a recent one:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=longkeeper

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #9
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Grape cherry tomatoes 1 pint 2.99 same cheapest store 2 weeks ago 1.25
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #10
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Actually some of the grocery store cherry and grape tomatoes that I buy during the dead of winter arent bad. They aint no Sun Sugar or Black Cherry but they satisfy my craving for the time being. I dont even bother with any thing larger.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #11
jabbok
Tomatovillian™

I know a owner of a local pizza shop........he said he went from paying $17 per case (25lbs) to $43, talk about an increase.
jabbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I ordered take out from a local pizza joint here in town. After placing my order for a large entree salad, the man informed me that due to the freeze in Texas, they did not have roma tomatoes for my salad. Did I still want to order?
I said no tomatoes was fine, I'd take the salad anyway. I had to laugh to myself about it. I always pick the nasty styrofoam tomatoes out of my salad anyway
Old February 23, 2011   #13
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Those tomatoes are actually picked totally green and have no taste whatsoever. The color is artificially induced with ethylene gas, which turns them red but doesn't develop any sugars. The producers would like to sell good-tasting tomatoes, but it's impossible when you have to transport them half-way across the country and hold them in cold storage for days, or even weeks, on end.

It's just "something red" people expect to see in their salad - most people pour-on so much dressing that's all they taste anyway.

Jack
Old February 23, 2011   #14
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Barbee, I know that the tomatoes in your photo are a gourmet's delight with fantastic taste - but they sure are UGLY!! LOL LOL

Jack
Old February 23, 2011   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cost is of no concern to me, I have my private food purchaser fly around the world to get the produce I want once a week.
Just last week we had BBQ'ed baby panda bear stuffed with a family of rare hummingbirds said to be the last of their kind.
5 men and 2 children died getting this delicacy to my table, a small price to pay for what I want.

The tomatoes that commoners purchase at the local markets are of no use to me and I couldnt care less what they pay or even if they starve to death.
My only concern is what I have and want, nothing more.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote