Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 6, 2010   #16
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I have many opinions on whole and cut potatoes for planting but I thought I could show better that say. Let's see how do I do this........?

I have two photos here...one with my potato varieties laid out ready to cut and the second one cut up ready for planting. This is part of a pictorial of my potato breeding and Darrel Jones.....Fusion_power took the pictures from a shipment I sent to him a few years ago. Thanks again Darrel!

I had my son, Kaighin, help me figure out the mechanics of getting these photos out of one of my PowerPoints into a saved picture file and then to the attachment files of the Additional Options that is below the Reply to Thread area where one would type the words to reply...If all of this works then I may be able to post more of my tons of pictures of potatoes and tomatoes.

Now if I could imagine how to post larger photos than just thumbnails....
Tom Wagner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut potatoes ready for planting.jpg (125.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg cut potatoes ready for planting2.jpg (83.7 KB, 58 views)
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #17
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I just wanted to add this link to a reference Tom Wagner provided in another post

http://www.cipotato.org/library/pdfdocs/TIBen5099.pdf

It discusses production and plant density, with a "plant" being an individual emergent stem-root unit from one eye, either from the same seed piece or from a different one (my wording). So, for example, in an area of one square foot of soil one whole potato growing four eyes is more or less equal to two seed peices each with two eyes as far as pounds of potatoes per square foot of soil. Fewer "plants" in a given area yield larger potatoes, but greater yield, up to a point, will be had with more plants in a given area, each producing slightly fewer and slightly smaller tubers. I am guessing that this is all assuming an equal amount of storage material (tuber weight) behind each eye (e.g 1 oz tater flesh per eye). Which would make sense since a farmer is trying to minimize the cost = weight of seed potatoes he has to buy.

That gets away from the question "I want to grow a huge potato for the county fair, how do I do it?" I would take a big whole seed potato and grow out one eye/plant in a hill off by itself.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #18
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

i do the same Red
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote