Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old January 16, 2010   #16
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just measured my largest stainless pot and it is 12 inches in diameter and holds 5.5 gallons.

You guys are making me want to cook down and can tomato sauce.

Worth
Worth you know what else you can make with pot's those size.

BEER

For years my largest pot didn't get used until St.Patty's day, than my husband started brewing his own beer about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I now have my large pot back after buying him a really nice 1 with a spout for his birthday.

Or you could make some gumbo with all your okra
Old January 16, 2010   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
Worth you know what else you can make with pot's those size.

BEER

For years my largest pot didn't get used until St.Patty's day, than my husband started brewing his own beer about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I now have my large pot back after buying him a really nice 1 with a spout for his birthday.

Or you could make some gumbo with all your okra
Now I like a woman that likes good beer.

None of that nasty heart burn causing wine cooler stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2010   #18
Zana
Tomatovillian™

RiverRat, some of my containers have more than one plant in them. And the last time I set up my "portable raised beds" there were 12 plants in each (but planted very densely). 2008 was a high production year for me. And that was even with not planting the seeds until the end of May....but I didn't finish harvesting until the 27th of November. All my containers/pots sat on a concrete patio except for about a 12-20 that sit on a 2nd floor south facing balcony/deck.

Unfortunately last year I was not "allowed" to turn the backyard into a gosh darn jungle (cleaned up language - but pretty much the words that my sibs and Dad used) because the house was on the market. So between the house being on the market and not selling, the lousy weather, and the surrogate garden that developed a serious case of late blight and had a resident tomato snacking dog, I probably got about a couple of dozen cherry tomatoes last year to eat that I grew. I'm hoping that I'll either be allowed to grow here, or find an offsite location that will have less problems....not to mention better weather.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2010   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That's about all I got was a few cherry tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2010   #20
RiverRat
Tomatovillian™

Zana, you'd think that your dad and sibs would be thrilled to have someone providing fresh garden produce - for the taste if not for the savings in food bills! I hope you find a good site this year where your work is appreciated!
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2010   #21
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Now I like a woman that likes good beer.

None of that nasty heart burn causing wine cooler stuff.

Worth
Yeah, I'm telling other woman all the time, put down that wine glass or cocktail and have a real drink.........a beer and not that Miller crap either.

I can't even stomach wine anymore, which is what i started on in my mid -twenties (hard liquor does numbers on my stomach ). After getting used to micro-brew beer. I really started to notice a taste difference between beer's. I actually tried to drink some Chianti a week ago at my mother's with her meatball's and I just couldn't swallow it.

Plus on the average my hubby has 2-4 different beers on tap at our house, I need to help my husband drink it

For his B-day along with his new beer kettle I got him a beer kit called 'Fire in the Hole' from MoreBeer. It has everything in it hops, grains and oak chips. i can't wait for this 1 to be done. He double ferment's his brews so it's a little bit longer wait.

Anyway's enough about beer (I could go on and on), this was suppossed to be about tomato pots.

Melissa1977
Old January 30, 2010   #22
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Zana
We put our house on the market and sold last July. I had already planted my usual garden all away around the back yard in planters
70' by 2' , 90'x6' and 30'x2'

What was nice was the people bought it so they didn't have to pay room and board at the local private Univ and rented out rooms to other student friends of thier daughter.

They were happy to see squash, cucumbers, peppers and HEIRLOOM/OP tomatoes growing - the mother dad and daughter love tomatoes and recently fell in love with OP there daughter waslooking forward to harvesting heirloom/OP tomatoes also - they made an offer (full asking price) the day they saw the house and garden

Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2010   #23
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Zana
We put our house on the market and sold last July. I had already planted my usual garden all away around the back yard in planters
70' by 2' , 90'x6' and 30'x2'

What was nice was the people bought it so they didn't have to pay room and board at the local private Univ and rented out rooms to other student friends of thier daughter.

They were happy to see squash, cucumbers, peppers and HEIRLOOM/OP tomatoes growing - the mother dad and daughter love tomatoes and recently fell in love with OP there daughter waslooking forward to harvesting heirloom/OP tomatoes also - they made an offer (full asking price) the day they saw the house and garden

Dennis
Dennis,

Sounds like you were lucky to sell that quickly in the current market. Unfortunately this isn't a small or mid-size house. LOL...uh nope. Nor is the pool which takes up most of the backyard. And what isn't concrete pool is mostly concrete patio or walkways around the pool. So all of my pots/containers and portable beds were sitting on the concrete. The only tomatoes in the flower beds were volunteers that were probably in the compost that I amended the beds with. Sighhhhh. I have to admit that by about September/October, the foliage from the pots/containers and portable bed in 2008 pretty much obscured the view of the pool from the house. LOL Then again we didn't open the pool that year, so it didnt really matter that much if you didn't have a clear path to the pool to go swimming. 2009 was a different story. We pumped out the pool, gave it an acid wash and paint job, refilled it and actually used it. LOL

One advantage of the pots/containers is that they are portable...hehe..so I could move them if I was allowed to plant them in the first place.

Zana

BTW ~ I only ended up with 12 gallons of the sauce because allot of the produce also went into fresh eating, salsas and other concoctions. Even made tomato sorbets with carbon and Black Krim...yummmmmmm....and lots of chutney. And then there was the 25 gallons of green tomato mincemeat (vegan style).
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote