Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 30, 2010   #61
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Here is OSU from my garden last summer. The fruit is a little better than 2 inches in diameter, and the plants produced well through the season. The flavor was very good - full and slightly sharp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blues on vine(r).JPG (460.8 KB, 212 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #62
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Those are just the craziest looking tomatoes! As Boris the parrot says," Want it!!" You folks are amazing.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #63
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Have you crossed Verde Claro with P20?
Old January 31, 2010   #64
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Yes I have descendants of Verde Claro crossed to P-20 and I will be looking at the recombinants this summer.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2010   #65
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

I sowed 12 seeds of blue tomatoes OSU 12 december.
I have planted 9 plantations on 31january. I kept plantations inside on an electric propagator.
On 7 februari, I planted plantations in greenhouse in a cage frigolite on a heating carpet enlightened by red and blue leds.
It made very cold outside but plantations resisted.
13/03, I placed 4 plantations in the greenhouse on the table and they underwent the cold during a week (minimum 2 - 5 °C at night, 15 °c in the daytime).
The blue color appeared on stalks and nervures.
Here is the bottom of the leaves of this 8 cm plantation

Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2010   #66
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the difference in color of the seedlings is striking. In this tray you can see some of the young blues in a mix of other varieties. The nighttime temperatures here have been close to what Ambiorix recorded, though it gets a bit warmer in my greenhouse during the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedlings2.JPG (504.6 KB, 170 views)
Old May 23, 2010   #67
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Here is an interesting variation I'm growing now - speckled with blue. It will be fun to follow all the crosses people are working on.
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speckled Blue.JPG (317.4 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by goodwin; May 23, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old May 23, 2010   #68
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

I have some OSU Blue seeds that a friend is growing out in a much hotter climate so we can add to out seeds. Does not hurt he is an OSU Grad.

However, I would actually really like to see seeds in my hands from the "Black Sun" Tomatoes from Italy!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTSOS/message/6343
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010   #69
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

interesting Goodwin - is this a cross or straight OSU Blue? The fruit shape is also a little uncharacteristic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
Here is an interesting variation I'm growing now - speckled with blue. It will be fun to follow all the crosses people are working on.
Lee
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #70
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

frogsleap- I honestly don't know - it might be an accidental cross. I know what you mean about the shape. The only speckled tomato I grew last year were these Sophie's Choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sophie_s_freckles.jpg (124.9 KB, 92 views)
Old May 27, 2010   #71
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Amazing-can't wait to get ahold of some of those blue seed!
Old May 27, 2010   #72
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I think that the speckled tomato is Scabitha from WBF, not Sophies Choice, an early red. Scabithat has the gold fleck trait (Gf) and is pretty distinct. The specks show up as dark green spots on a lighter green unripe fruit, then turn to yellow freckles on red fruit. The nipples on your photo are uncharacteristic of Scabiitha or P20 though.

Quote:
frogsleap- I honestly don't know - it might be an accidental cross. I know what you mean about the shape. The only speckled tomato I grew last year were these Sophie's Choice.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010   #73
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
I think that the speckled tomato is Scabitha from WBF, not Sophies Choice, an early red. Scabithat has the gold fleck trait (Gf) and is pretty distinct. The specks show up as dark green spots on a lighter green unripe fruit, then turn to yellow freckles on red fruit. The nipples on your photo are uncharacteristic of Scabiitha or P20 though.
Agree with Frogsleap that what you show is gold flecking which can be seen with several varieties, one is Depp's Pink Firefly. Gold flecking is partially genetic and partially not known, to date.

Goodwin, were you growing Scabitha? Or are you sure those are Sophie's Choice? I can't tell from the size, but the shape isn't quite right and I was the person who introduced Sophie many years ago and I've never seen gold fleck on it.
Old May 28, 2010   #74
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi Carolyn -
No, I haven't grown Scabitha. This seed came from TF last year labeled Sophie's Choice. Two of the eight plants showed the trait. The plant habit was identical, and the fruit was similar in shape, perhaps slightly smaller. I planted seed from those this winter and all ten are flecked to some degree. The fruit is just beginning to ripen. Frogsleap describes the sequence of ripening precisely. The skin on Scabitha looks different in photos I've seen - more mottled and rough. So it's a mystery. I'd figured a chance mutation, but it could very well be some stray or crossed seed.
Lee
Old May 28, 2010   #75
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
hi Carolyn -
No, I haven't grown Scabitha. This seed came from TF last year labeled Sophie's Choice. Two of the eight plants showed the trait. The plant habit was identical, and the fruit was similar in shape, perhaps slightly smaller. I planted seed from those this winter and all ten are flecked to some degree. The fruit is just beginning to ripen. Frogsleap describes the sequence of ripening precisely. The skin on Scabitha looks different in photos I've seen - more mottled and rough. So it's a mystery. I'd figured a chance mutation, but it could very well be some stray or crossed seed.
Lee
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&g...tart=0&ndsp=18

Lee, above is a Google Images link to pictures of Sophie's Choice. It's beefsteak shaped, not round and correct pictures are shown from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Garden Medicinals ( Jeff McCormack who owned SESE), Underwood Gardens and the several pictures from Garden web.

What did not look correct was the picture from heirloom tomato plants and since I know that Laurel and Gary at TF are business partners I then looked at the TF picture and it's the same one as at Laurels site.

Based on the shape of the fruits I have some doubts about it being Sophie's Choice. I didn't review all the tomato varieties at both websites to see if either Laural or Gary was offering Scabitha OR Depp's Pink Firefly, so maybe if you have time you could check that which might explain where the gold flecking you saw could have come from as in possible crossed seeds.

Since I introduced Sophie's Choice in the SSE YEarbook sometime I think in the mid 90's I've never seen a picture of it with gold flecking anywhere, have never seen anyone who relisted it in the Yearbook speak to that and have never seen goldflecking on it when I grew it. And since it is genetic in nature, those varieties that have that flecking, such as Depp's Pink Firefly, I don't know Scabitha, continue to show it with saved seeds.

Ah well, don't you love mysteries.

And one question. Are all the spots on that lemon shaped OSU purple? I can't tell that from your picture. It looks more to me like a possible infection with perhaps Bacterial Spot but I guess you'd know that based on the other symptoms of Bacterial Spot that would have been seen.