Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 5, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default The Ant and the Grasshopper

Are there any Ants here?

The Ant and the Grasshopper

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.
"Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and moiling in that way?"
"I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."
"Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; "We have got plenty of food at present." But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.
When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food and found itself dying of hunger - while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer. Then the Grasshopper knew: It is best to prepare for days of need.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2015   #2
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Yup, I'm an ant. Don't grow much that can't be stored.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2015   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
Yup, I'm an ant. Don't grow much that can't be stored.
Would enjoy information about your efforts.
Old August 5, 2015   #4
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Potatoes and onions, store in the basement. Peas, beans, broccoli, strawberries, and carrots all get frozen. Tomatoes get canned (either stewed, cubed or sauce). Zucchini gets made into bread and frozen for winter consumption. Grow radishes as row markers for the carrots, they get consumed fresh. Only thing I'm growing this year that can't be stored is watermelon. Not a usual crop for us. Did romaine lettuce last year, but didn't want to waste the garden space this year, so tried it in containers. Massive fail. Not the lettuces fault, didn't care enough to expend energy on taking care of it. Have bee hives, don't know if we will process the honey this year though. That's up to hubby, his project. Oh yeah, and cukes are pickled and canned.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2015   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Sounds exciting. Pictures maybe? Size of garden?
Old August 5, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can both hot water bath and pressure can.
I make pickles make jelly and make large pots of stuff like chilli gumbo stew and such and can it.
I also buy large amounts of dried peppers and make powders and flakes with it.
I also make all kinds of my own salami and sausage and freeze it.
Buy meat on sale and make corned beef and Canadian bacon grind my own meat so it isn't contaminated.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2015   #7
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I buy salt, black pepper, and coffee.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2015   #8
salix
Tomatovillian™

The only vegetables I buy are mushrooms (really not a veggie at all) and sweet potatoes or yams (I have tried them, but only barely successful in a really good season). And after about the New Year I will have to buy celery if/when needed.

In fact, I still have about 3 or 4 pounds of last year's carrots and a couple of cabbages still in very good condition. That's it for "fresh" from last season. Lots of stuff canned, dehydrated and frozen. There is always a push this time of year to free up space in the freezers.
Old August 6, 2015   #9
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

if you "ant" long enough and smart enough, and get a little lucky you just might be able to "grasshopper" for a while
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote