Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 15, 2009   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default How big do you let your zukes get?

I've always been told that when the skin is shiny, it's good to pick, assuming it's of a decent size. But with the occasional heavy rain, plus the density of foliage in my beds, that's not always the case. This morning I picked a Golden zuke about the size of my forearm (and I lift weights). Goldens do have the advantage of being easily seen; last summer I was growing Aristocrat and twice I found "lost" zukes the size of my calves. I do know that green zukes need peeling when they get that big, but I'm not sure about the goldens. (Also the seeds can be an issue if you don't cook the bejeebers out of them.)
Old May 15, 2009   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

If I'm going to be frying the zukes, I want them about half dollar size around. If I'm going to be shredding them for a recipe, then they can get a big bigger but I don't like to let them get big enough to where the center turns mushy.
The hidden ones that get big as my forearm go into the compost pile or sometimes they are snuck onto the porches of unsuspecting friends and neighbors
Old May 15, 2009   #3
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I usually pick mine well before they're the size of my forearm (and I don't lift weights. )
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

For our farmers markets we like to pick them any time they are about the length of your hand or bigger. And I don't have big hands. We pick 2 or 3 times/week to keep them that nice tender baby size.

Of course some people always want them bigger and as the plants get older and the crew gets lazier, there are always the "missed" zucs. As long as they still fit in the crate, someone will buy it. Shredding the big ones works well for zucchini bread / cake recipies, tho I usually like them a bit smaller than crate size myself.

BTW, we also grow a white Arabic zucchini and it can hide as well as the green ones. The nice part is while the Arabs don't like those big zucs, the Russians like them large. Same zucchini, different recipies for the different heritages.

Carol

Last edited by Wi-sunflower; May 15, 2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added thought
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

A perfect size is no larger than the size of a small flashlight, the kind that holds two AA batteries. I have occasionally used larger ones cut lengthwise, seeds removed, and tomato sauce and cheese added to the cavity and the whole thing baked. Pretty tasty.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

the size of a small flashlight, the kind that holds two AA batteries.

Yup, that's more or less the size we aim for. But it's a lot of work to keep them that size. When it's hot and there is enough moisture, you will need to pick 3 or 4 times/week.

After more than 20 years of selling the small zuccs that way, few other farmers pick them that small. It's that much work. Most pick at the large flashlight stage or a bit bigger. Those that only have the "jumbo" zuccs are selling what I call the "lazy farmer zuccs" as all you have to do to get them is ignore them for about a week.

A good recipe for up to medium sized zuccs --

shred enough zuccs to make about 2 cups shreds,
add 2 beaten eggs and about 2 Tbs flour, a bit of salt & pepper. Use just enough flour to hold it together so it isn't runny.

Fry like potato pancakes. Yummm.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #7
Colojd
Tomatovillian™

We usually grow two types - a pickler variety and a Japanese slicer. We like both on the smaller size. When we were growing up, my Mom would make bread and butter pickles from the picklers that got bigger and yellow, but my favorites are a good basic dill pickle!

My husband really love salad of any type so he always wants me to pick the cucumbers when they are small and sweet. Their skins tend to be more tender at that stage as well.

I did read a year or two ago that a cucumber will slow down its production if you let too many get mature on the vine, so to keep them coming, you have to harvest as soon as you can.
Colojd is offline   Reply With Quote